This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Secret Catfish bait

Before I explain this... I will ask you a simple question. What do catfish like to eat?

Answer: Anything that is stinky or has a reeking odor.

Question number two: What is the stinkiest thing on earth yet very plentiful in our society?

Answer: Dog Poo

Yes, I'm serious. Dog poo is just about the best catfish bait there is, and its also the cheapest. It is my secret bait that I use whenever I go catfishing. Most guys don't use it because they are too feminine to get dirty and stinky. They think it is gross and they feel like puking when they smell it. If you are a real man you will try this. The results are incredible! I have been having a lof of success.

Anglerman

Re: Secret Catfish bait

I wasn't sure where you were headed with that one....to each his own, call me a sissy but I'll fish with anything but scooby's doo.

I know it sounds odd but it works very well. I was waiting to test a lot before posting on the forum. Since it is raining this week I figure there will be a lot of folks on here.

I breed dogs and I feed them a clove of garlic per week or two. My catch has been amazing. I was going to enter a few cat tournaments before posting this but I figure that no one will have enough dogs to steal my secret

I guess this would be a real stink bait!

don't care if it works or not I am sticking to more traditional baits. Big fish eat little fish. I don't think I could eat catfish that I was feeding dog poo

I would opt for being skunked LOL than to handle that. I will stick with the shad.

TRAP

Hmmmm I smell someone trying to pull our legs here......lol

Sounds more like something a bass fisherman might post.....lol

What would you be willing to give for this secret bait? My buddies and I have kennels ourselves and wondered if there was a market for this. It would be nice to be able to sell it instead of just throwing it over the kennels in the bushes.

I knew someone would think I was joking but I'm serious. I have

Actually, not many breeds have the flavor that catfish relish. Smaller dogs like beagles, terriers, and bulldogs are better. Their poo has a little less acidity than the larger ones, providing the "melt in your mouth" taste that catfish love.

Riverrat - I add garlic cloves in small doses to my dogfood and it produces the right odor that has made my game top notch.

I would love to hear from Fishdoc on this

If any of you would like a free sample of my best dog poo, give me your address.

Something stinks with this post.

WTH has the fishing community come to when you have someone using dog !@#$ for bait,I have a secret bait that does not have anything to do with !@#$ and can fish a big old circle slam around you as far as channel cats and numbers go! As for the flatheads and blues fresh cut or live bait will get best results for them.You could probably sell that recipe to the Iraqis since they do not mind getting $!@# on their hands !!

How exactly do you keep this secret bait on the hook. I'm gussing you freeze it into donut like rings so you can get the hook through?

So poodle poo works best huh? What about cat's crap? I bet the catfish would go crazy if you feed the cat tuna.

Thanks for the laugh, yes I know you are serious, but I have to ask, is this somehow related to a sociological doctoral thesis on farce?

Guess if you feed the dogs dry food and chop the terds up you'd have " Angler Mans Catfish Terd Nuggets " Ha Ha. Kinda gotta a ring to it.

You rig it like any other stink bait. You can mold it around a treble hook with your hands, smear it on a sponge etc. I have also used other stink bait like beef liver. Let it set out for day thou.

Has anyone ever used chicken guts? I have had some sucess with them but it is not easy to get. Dog crap is all over my place since I often breed beagles.

Anglerman & his terd nuggets

If you run low on your nuggets you are welcome to come over to my house and get a supply of "terrier treats"

I have all the bait you want, all you have to do is come and get it. If you find a certain brand that works better, I will supply the poop if you supply the feed. Right Now I am feeding Buddy Boy 24/20. I have 20+ hounds. Let me know I will run a pick your own catfish bait farm. . Hope yall have a good one and catch the big one.

I have more dog poo than time to go fishing. I'm still waiting for fishdoc to post. fd - Have you ever used stink baits?

Dog poo is not a new bait. It is widely used in many places. The absolute best places for catfish to congregate in rivers is near the town sewerage dump. Used to be a lot better b4 they improved on the tretment process, but still is a magnet for them. Cats are part of the cleanup crew. Always have been....always will be. And great fun to catch, but not fun to handle because of the snot on them.

I guess that it just goes to show that nothing in nature goes wasted. So gents just go ahead and do your business while your out on your boat, keeps the fish getting fatter.

Crock of s***! You'd be better off putting it on your tomato plants. Or trying to sell fertilizer.

My granddad once told me a story about him fishing on the dan river. . .said he had been fishing all day without a bite for cats. later on in the afternoon he had to take a #2, so he hung it over the boat and took care of business, he said as soon as he was pulling his pants up a big catfish came up to the top of the water and started eating what he had just left in the water.

Mike

I dont know about dog crap but a good new secret if come across is big goldfish worked great this wkend caught some big ones in the 20 30lb range.

Big country how are you rigging those goldfish?

So do you Texas rig it or what?

I will put a 1 1/2 oz slip sinker on then a large bead with a swivel to keep from smashining your swivel when casting with a 50 to 60 ib test leader i will use a # 7 red circle hook hooking the gold fish right below there spinal cord behind there hole where there are no vital organs. Try this it works wonders. Do you know much about LMB on kerr lake???

I don't really fish for largemouth much, mostly Striped Bass. I think I may try the Goldfish for Catfish some night next week. I think BobCats has Goldfish too. Thanks for the info on the goldfish

Good luck we had bought the gold fish at bobcats to use as cut bait but me being curious decided to throw the whole thing on there and almost craped myself when i was the only one getting bites and no one else was then i landed one of those bad boys and my gf almost cried she was so scared of how big the fish was...she only weights 98 pounds LOL Good Luck and Good fishing Bo

if you wanna use cut bait, use bream, shad or crappie. goldfish work well live, but never had any luck with them dead or cut up. also their to expensive to cut up in my oppinion.
Mike

Shad dosen't always produce the results for me. Maybe I'm cutting them wrong? hehe I have used chicken guts and done well on some accasions. I have soaked them in some garlic.

Anglerman

try using a green sunfish, hook them in the back.
have always had good luck with them, i have noticed they more active and live longer then a bream or shad.
has anyone else used them?

I always use sunnies and they ve worked great the bigger the better i think. Make sure to hook them towards the tail in the meaty part but not through the guts. They work great. Try big gold fish less spines and easier for them to slurp em down. Cats love em.

have tryed the gold fish thing in my oppinion it was a waste of time and money, but everyone has a favorite bait

bc what is sunnies

Sunnies sunfish same thing bro

Blue Catfish are carnivores, not **** eaters this sounds like an abcdefu post!!!! 1bigblue

1bigblue - Were you saying that to me? Come fishing with me and I will show you that my poo bait works great. I will meet you and give you some if you wish. The cats like the scent.

haha "My poo bait works great" that has a ring to it.

Anglerman

Take a short cut and use cat tracker sewer bait instead of following poochie around all day with a shovel. www.cattracker.com.
I think I saw something like this on chets and chong up in smoke.

I just want to know what possessed this man to try it for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!! If you need $5 to buy a jar of stink bait, rob the piggy bank.

I used to just use those strike king flavored hot dog looking chunk baits that Bill Dance endorsed. do they still sell those? they stunk bad enough after being out in the sun for a day or so. I can't imagine what the poo smells like after a day in the boat

Dip baits do work well on channel cats during warm weather months. Cat Tracker, Doc's, and Catfish Charlies would be the brands to choose from. I have caught channels up 15lb on dip. But if your after trophy fish live and fresh cut fish would be top choice. I do not like gold fish for bait but their are some flat head fisherman that have more than their fair share of luck on them. Last week end the only thing I had luck on was 8-12in shad and white perch live.

Has anyone ever heard of using Golden Raisins? An old timer told me it was the best for BIGGG cats, I have seen them eating wild grapes off vines in the water before, but never tried the golden raisins, guess ya just thread a hook full with them?

Quint,
Do you trim the fins of the white perch?

I was fishing with an older guy with many years of expierence. He showed me the chicken guts but he used a very small amount of dog poo smeared. That is where I got the idea.

There are a couple people on this thread that have similar stories. One person mentioned cat fish eating fresh crap from a guy who took a dump off the side on his boat. A few other people I have met have used poo a little bit. Most people laught at me.

Oh well.. I'm really one of the youngest people on here and have only been fishing for 12 years. I don't have much to share because you guys know so much. The dog poo is all I knew of that hasen't been posted.

I sometimes cut the tail off perch so they bleed but stay alive. But did not last week end.

I have also heard of the raisins. My understanding is that raisins are a illegal method used by trot liners. For the reason that the raisin has to ferment and takes a few days to do so. The lines are not checked for a few days as the law states that they must be checked daily. The raisins swell up when they ferment.

Why not use a size 12+ tube sock packed full of poo, and run some hooks off of it. This would work great drifting for blues. Katnip does poo packing work for you?

I have been waiting for pictures of these poo caught cats. I have fished for cats over 20 years all over the southeast and midwest. Neverhave seen a miracle bait outproduce shad, herring, or what the baitfish in the area are. I really think this guy was full of his catfish bait!!!!!!!!!

Here a couple cats that I have caught with my secret stink bait. Anyone is always welcome to fish with me. I would sure love the company.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/baby2727/cat.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/baby2727/cat2.jpg

Anglerman

those fish are full of $h!t

There is no way you caught that flathead on any stinkbait! Like I said full of your own catfish bait!

Raymond anytime you want a lesson on catching channel cats let me know,I will use my bait which is not shad or any other cut bait and fill a cooler up,channel cats now whoever looses buys lunch ??

Caprandy, I have no doubt in your bait and would love to go anytime you want. Buying lunch is a small price to pay for a trip and learning from anyone! Shoot me an email and we can work out a day or night. I meant no disrespect toward you or anyone else on this board except the dog poo man. I would love the chance to talk with you over your exp in Iraq. I often wonder if it has really changed much in the last 15 years or so. Tite lines to all!

I caught that flathead using brim. The other came from the dog poo. Stop hating

1 2