Skilaboðaskjóða Ættfræðifélagsins

Leggðu inn fyrirspurnir sem aðrir notendur vefsins geta ef til vill svarað --- einnig lesið yfir af félögum Ættfræðifélagsins reglulega.

Skilaboðaskjóða Ættfræðifélagsins
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hjalmarsson

Hi Brent,

I can only add a little bit, Maggi has provided lots of info.Unfortunately, I don't have any info on when Hjalmar came to North America.

Hjalmar and Fridrika's son gestur Ernest was born August 11, 1892 in Hallson North Dakota. He passed away at Uculet, B.C. at the age of 49 on January 22, 1942. He was married to Winnifred Wilson (married August 1921). he had served in WWI and was still in the army until 1929 by which time 3 of their children were born. A fourth child was born in 1935. After being discharged from the army Gestur and family moved to Winnipegosis where he was Mayor for 8 years. Eventually they moved to the coast.

Children are: Fred, Ernie, third unknown to me, Doris Jean.

Sources for this are: 1903 Almanak published by Olafur S, Thorgeirsson and Refelctions from Little Muddy Water- Winnipegosis history book. At the time the Winnipegosis book was written (1990) Winnifred Hjalmarson was still living, residing in Duncan. Also in the WWI book- Minngarrit Islenskra Hermanna there is a nice picture of Gestur.(If you don't have access to this book and want the photo I'll scan it and send it to you.)I don't have anything on the other siblings.

Hjalmar Hjalmarson's brother, Jon emigrated in 1973 with his wife Halldora Josefsdottir and son Hjalmar. They lived in Toronto until 1876 when they moved to New Iceland until 1880 when they moved to the Hallson area. They had four children two sons, Karl and Hjalmar, who died in adulthood and two daughters, Sesselja ( Mrs. Kjartan Sveinsson) and Lina

(Mrs. Christian Olson). So although Hjalmar and Fridrika aren't list in the book of emigration, Vesturfaraskra, it is quite likely they have gone with Jon and Halldora or between 1873 ND 1876 when Jon and Halldora were in Toronto given that your grandfather was born in Toronto.

If I run across anything else I'll pass it along to you.

Gerri

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I am trying to trace the parents/line of my ggf. Hjálmar Hjálmarsson. In addition I am very interested in finding the date of immigration to Canada. My Grandfather Jon was born in Toronto but I am not about his brothers and sister.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Husband: Hjálmar Hjálmarsson

Born: 9 Apr 1849, Höskuldsstaðir, Reykjadalur, Iceland

Died: 22 Mar 1936, Winnipegosis, MB, Canada

Wife:Friðrika S. Jónsdóttir

Born: C 1848, Skinnalón, Thingeyjarsýsla, Iceland

Died: 14 Jul 1926, Hallson, Pembina, ND, USA

Son Jón Isaac Hjálmarson

Born: 5 Aug 1882, Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada

Died: 19 Nov 1965, Ventura, Ventura, CA, USA

Daughter Anna Hjalmarson

Son Gestur Hjalmarson

Son Walter Hjalmarson

Son Stefán Hjalmarson

Re: Re: Hjalmarsson

Hi Brent,

Walter Hjalmar Hjalmarson was born in 1882 in Toronto according to his enlistment attestation papers for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces ( WWI). His next of kin was identified only as Mr. Hja;marson of Walhalla North Dakota. He was married and a motor man by occupation. He signed up in Morden, Manitoba with the "Winnipeg Rifles" the 90th Canadian Infantry Battalion in November 1915. He was described as being 5'11" with dark complexion, dark hair and brown eyes. This information is available through the Candaian Archives website on line database of Cdn. Expeditionary Forces (WWI) www.archives.ca

Gerri

Replying to:

Hi Brent,

I can only add a little bit, Maggi has provided lots of info.Unfortunately, I don't have any info on when Hjalmar came to North America.

Hjalmar and Fridrika's son gestur Ernest was born August 11, 1892 in Hallson North Dakota. He passed away at Uculet, B.C. at the age of 49 on January 22, 1942. He was married to Winnifred Wilson (married August 1921). he had served in WWI and was still in the army until 1929 by which time 3 of their children were born. A fourth child was born in 1935. After being discharged from the army Gestur and family moved to Winnipegosis where he was Mayor for 8 years. Eventually they moved to the coast.

Sources for this are: 1903 Almanak published by Olafur S, Thorgeirsson and Refelctions from Little Muddy Water- Winnipegosis history book. At the time the Winnipegosis book was written (1990) Winnifred Hjalmarson was still living, residing in Duncan. Also in the WWI book- Minngarrit Islenskra Hermanna there is a nice picture of Gestur.(If you don't have access to this book and want the photo I'll scan it and send it to you.)I don't have anything on the other siblings.

Hjalmar Hjalmarson's brother, Jon emigrated in 1973 with his wife Halldora Josefsdottir and son Hjalmar. They lived in Toronto until 1876 when they moved to New Iceland until 1880 when they moved to the Hallson area. They had four children two sons, Karl and Hjalmar, who died in adulthood and two daughters, Sesselja ( Mrs. Kjartan Sveinsson) and Lina

(Mrs. Christian Olson). So although Hjalmar and Fridrika aren't list in the book of emigration, Vesturfaraskra, it is quite likely they have gone with Jon and Halldora or between 1873 ND 1876 when Jon and Halldora were in Toronto given that your grandfather was born in Toronto.

Gerri

Replying to:

I am trying to trace the parents/line of my ggf. Hjálmar Hjálmarsson. In addition I am very interested in finding the date of immigration to Canada. My Grandfather Jon was born in Toronto but I am not about his brothers and sister.

Son Jón Isaac Hjálmarson

Daughter Anna Hjalmarson

Son Gestur Hjalmarson

Son Walter Hjalmarson

Son Stefán Hjalmarson

Re: Re: Re: Hjalmarsson

Thank you so much for the information. I had some of the information but a lot of new material to ponder.

Replying to:

Hi Brent,

Walter Hjalmar Hjalmarson was born in 1882 in Toronto according to his enlistment attestation papers for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces ( WWI). His next of kin was identified only as Mr. Hja;marson of Walhalla North Dakota. He was married and a motor man by occupation. He signed up in Morden, Manitoba with the "Winnipeg Rifles" the 90th Canadian Infantry Battalion in November 1915. He was described as being 5'11" with dark complexion, dark hair and brown eyes. This information is available through the Candaian Archives website on line database of Cdn. Expeditionary Forces (WWI) www.archives.ca

Gerri

Replying to:

Hi Brent,

Gerri

Replying to:

Son Jón Isaac Hjálmarson

Daughter Anna Hjalmarson

Son Gestur Hjalmarson

Son Walter Hjalmarson

Son Stefán Hjalmarson

Re: Re: Re: Hjalmarsson

I would greatly appreciate a scan of the photo you mentioned. Thanks.

Replying to:

Hi Brent,

Gerri

Replying to:

Hi Brent,

Gerri

Replying to:

Son Jón Isaac Hjálmarson

Daughter Anna Hjalmarson

Son Gestur Hjalmarson

Son Walter Hjalmarson

Son Stefán Hjalmarson

Re: Hjalmarsson

Hjálmar Hjálmarsson [6 Apr 1852 - 22 Mar 1936] & Fri?rika Sesselja Jónsdóttir [14 Nov 1849 - 14 Jul 1926] emigrated in 1873 from the farm Stóra Eyrarland in Hrafnagil Parish, Eyjafjar?arsysla. Although they emigrated together there is some question whether they were yet married. Appparently they were among the few who remained in Ontario, relocating to Dakota in 1888, where they settled near Hjálmar’s brother Jón in LaMoure Township, Pembina County.

Two of Fri?rika’s half brothers are known to have emigrated, but it appears both (Ingólfur and Ármann) remained in Canada, though it is said Ármann spent several years in Dakota where he attended school and worked for a time. Fri?rika’s mother, Sesselja Daníelsdóttir 1834-1910, and her husband Magnús Hallgrímsson 1833-1890, emigrated the following year 1874, as did Ingólfur and likely Ármann, and also spent some time in Dakota.

Hjálmar’s mother, Sigrí?ur, was sister to Sesselja, wife of Andrés Ólafsson; many of their descendents were also in Dakota, including the large Dinusson and Ingvaldsson (Ingjaldsson) clans and one of the large Johnson clans

Also it is questionable whether Fri?rika’s parents were married (I don’t think they were)

Regards

Arlan Steinolfson

Replying to:

Son Jón Isaac Hjálmarson

Daughter Anna Hjalmarson

Son Gestur Hjalmarson

Son Walter Hjalmarson

Son Stefán Hjalmarson

Re: Re: Hjalmarsson

I'm a little slow with the thank you notes as I was a way for a while. In any event I really appreciate the information. A lot to review...

Replying to:

Hjálmar Hjálmarsson [6 Apr 1852 - 22 Mar 1936] & Fri?rika Sesselja Jónsdóttir [14 Nov 1849 - 14 Jul 1926] emigrated in 1873 from the farm Stóra Eyrarland in Hrafnagil Parish, Eyjafjar?arsysla. Although they emigrated together there is some question whether they were yet married. Appparently they were among the few who remained in Ontario, relocating to Dakota in 1888, where they settled near Hjálmar’s brother Jón in LaMoure Township, Pembina County.

Two of Fri?rika’s half brothers are known to have emigrated, but it appears both (Ingólfur and Ármann) remained in Canada, though it is said Ármann spent several years in Dakota where he attended school and worked for a time. Fri?rika’s mother, Sesselja Daníelsdóttir 1834-1910, and her husband Magnús Hallgrímsson 1833-1890, emigrated the following year 1874, as did Ingólfur and likely Ármann, and also spent some time in Dakota.

Hjálmar’s mother, Sigrí?ur, was sister to Sesselja, wife of Andrés Ólafsson; many of their descendents were also in Dakota, including the large Dinusson and Ingvaldsson (Ingjaldsson) clans and one of the large Johnson clans

Also it is questionable whether Fri?rika’s parents were married (I don’t think they were)

Regards

Arlan Steinolfson

Replying to:

Son Jón Isaac Hjálmarson

Daughter Anna Hjalmarson

Son Gestur Hjalmarson