Skilaboðaskjóða Ættfræðifélagsins

Leggðu inn fyrirspurnir sem aðrir notendur vefsins geta ef til vill svarað --- einnig lesið yfir af félögum Ættfræðifélagsins reglulega.

Skilaboðaskjóða Ættfræðifélagsins
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grandma Hnappdal

Hi Donald,

There seems to be a lttle confusion here. Perhaps there is is a generation missing in the information that you have.

A Sigurður Hnappdal died in Winnipeg in April of 1942 at the age of 89. This means he would have been born @ 1852. I have nothing more on him so he may not have any link to your inquiry.

Then there is another Sigurður Bjarni Einarsson Hnappdal who died Dec. 12, 1948 in Cavalier N.D. In Vesturfaraskrá p. 162, in 1876, a Sigurður Einarsson age 20 emigrated from Hnappadalssýsla with his mother, Halla Jónsdóttir age 61. They were following the husband/father, Einar Jónsson (died in Hallson N.D. Feb. 22/06 age 77) who emigrated in 1874. He and parents were in Kinmount Ontario and Nova Scotia before going to North Dakota. So we know this is the Sigurður who died in 1948 identified as being born Feb. 12, 1857. This Sigurður is old enough to be your Sigurður Hnappdal's (born @1880)father yet.

I suggest you get in touch with Arlan Steinolfsson of North Dakota - arlans@aol.com. Arlan has an article on his web page in which he writes on behalf of his great-grandfather (it is written as if the he is his great grandfather). In it he outlines the family including this part:

Guðbjörg married Sigurður* , the son of Einar Jónsson and Halla Jónsdóttir, whose family had emigrated from Svarhóll, Miklaholtshreppur, Hnappadalssýsla in 1874, eventually settling in Pembina County. They moved to Canada where Guðbjörg died in 1917.

Kristjana Ragnheiður was married in 1896 to Sveinn Jónsson Johnson.......

Björnína Kristín, who never married, moved to Seattle where she worked at various occupations. She died there about 1975.

Somewhere along the line something is mixed up. The names all fit your description but I have no doubt this is the family you are looking for. As you can see though there are some things out of whack.

* This Sigurður Einarsson Hnappdal identified as married to Guðbjörg Kristjánsdóttir is the one identified as born 1857. Gi This Sigurður had a brother named Jón but of his sons listed in the Saga Íslendinga í N. Dakota (Saga of Icelanders in North Dakota) none is named Sigurður-which would account for the age difference. Are the dates for your Sigurður certain or could in fact this 1857-1948 Sigurður be the right one? Perhaps Arlan can help shed some light on

this, if the dates of 1880-1958 are correct. I'll see if I find anything else for you. I'll send you the link to Arlan's website separately so you can read the whole article he has posted.

Good Luck!

Geraldine

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sælir félagar

Ættfræðifélaginu barst eftirfarandi e-mail sem gaman væri að einhver gæti svarað. Mér skilst að maðurinn ætli að koma til Íslands bráðlega. Kveðja Þórður Tyrfingsson

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for agreeing to help me trace my maternal relatives of the Icelandic name Hnappdal. I have very little information to provide you prior to my Great Grandmother emigrating to Canada.

I only know my Great Granmother as Grandma Hnappdal. Apparently she emigrated to Winnipeg Canada with her son Sigurdur Gudmundsson Hnappdal who was born in Iceland in 1880 and died in Winnipeg in 1958. It is thought that Grandma Hnappdal came to Canada with Sigurdur when he was an infant or a small boy. Could his father's name have been Gudmundsson? I never heard

any mention of his father. Later Sigurdur married Gudbjorc Christianson who was also born in Iceland on July 8, 1875 and died in Winnipeg of diphtheria on April 16, 1917. A cousin of ours in North Dakota thought that Sigurdur and Gudbjorc were cousins.

Sigurdur and Gudbjorc had four daughters:

Lillian (or Lillie) Christine Hanppdal ( my mother) b.1905-d.2000;

Vilborg (or Willa) Hnappdal b.1907 d.1980;

Esther Hnappdal b.1908-d.1909;

and an unnamed girl who died as a premature baby.

All were born in Winnipeg.

Gudbjorc had two sisters;

Christina Christianson and Jana Christianson.

I am not sure of the spelling of Christina as we all called

her Aunt Chris. She never married and lived out her life into her eighties in Seattle Washington.

Aunt Jana married a Johnson and settled on a farm in North Dakota where they raised nine children, two of whom are still living.

Any assistance that you can give me would be appreciated.

Sincerely

Donald G. Bellow

dbellow@ualberta.ca