Philly Runners -- Welcome

Welcome to our Philly Runners forum. This message board is provided for running-related discussion in the Philadelphia area and around the world. You are welcome to start your own topics and reply to others.

You don't need to post only running-related items, but commercial interests don't have a business being on here (unless you're trying to sell your used treadmill, for example). We don't have "rules" but will try to use our best good-faith judgment. 

Please do not list the full name of anybody other than yourself. Please use first names only or first name plus first letter of last name. Messages that include full names will be deleted. 

When starting a topic for an event with a specific date, please list the date of the event in the subject line. For example: "Media 5 Miler Friday June 17".

Some posts will be deleted after a while due to space limitations. Have fun, and please be sure to visit our main website for more information on our club and more running-related information.

Philly Runners Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Philly Marathon Long Training Run

I am running the Philadelphia Marathon in November. I live in NC and am planning to visiting the city to run one of my long training runs (18-20 miles) on part of the marathon course for some race recon. Would appreciate any info on local running groups that might have an organized training run on the course scheduled. Cheers.

Your Next Race & Date: Philadelphia Marathon

Re: Philly Marathon Long Training Run

The club's run on Saturday mornings (8am through Labor Day, 9am thereafter) covers the river loop which includes part of the marathon course. The Saturday runs include runners of all paces covering the 8.45 mile loop with some running more and some running less.

And pending what running pace you feel comfortable at, I run with a group at 8:30am on Sundays near the Art Musuem in which a group goes around mid-6 min/miles and a second group at mid-7 min/miles. I'd be happy to tailor the route on one of those Sunday runs to include more of the marathon course too.

Hi Paul,

I am interested in running with one of the 8:30 a.m. Sunday groups.

Where do they meet and how far do they go? Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Kevin

The general meet up spot for the group I run with on Sunday is 8:30am at Lloyd Hall for a 13 mile run through Fairmount park and along the drive. Most people add on before or after. Although, many of the guys I've trained with over the years have moved elsewhere, so what used to be a steady group of 10+ runners weekly has become hit or miss. Best bet may be to email me and I can fill you in on whether there's talk of people being there. I'll be at the Philly Runners group run on Saturday (10/14) assuming my son cooperates and wants to get pushed along in the stroller! And I am aware of guys going 20 miles from Lloyd Hall on Sunday (10/15) with drop off points for shorter distance pending interest. Pace will likely be in the range of 6:30-7:30 per mile since it covers a mix of trails and road.

Email is Paulma2zak@gmail.com