Return to Website

RMA Rough Rider Association Message Forum

The purpose of this forum is to provide a forum for cadets and friends of Roosevelt Military Academy to renew and maintain friendships and to post information of interest to the RMA Community. There are no restrictions on topics for discussion. We just ask that everyone keep their notes polite and civil. Don't forget to include a subject to your message.

RMA Rough Rider Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jerry...........my friend

Jack and I are saddened by Jerry’s passing. He took me in as a close friend and always gave me hugs and kisses every time we met at RMA functions. Jerry was a selfless man who gave so much to others and made me feel special. We will miss Jerry! Holly Gwynne.

Below is an article shared by other Cadets and wanted to post this for all to see.

Jerry Guinn, 80, of East Moline, died Thursday, May 9, 2013, at Hope Creek Care Center, East Moline. Jerry was an RMA graduate of the class of 1950.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Monday, May 13, at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church, 800 17th St., Silvis, where military honors will be conducted. A rosary service will be held at 2 p.m. on Sunday, May 12, with a visitation immediately following until 5 p.m.

Per his wishes, cremation rites will be accorded following his services and inurnment will be at Cordova Cemetery at a later date.

Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society or to Honor Flight.

Jerry was born on June 22, 1932, in Moline, the son of Floyd and Vida Griffin Guinn. He married Dorothy DeWitte on Sept. 15, 1951, at St. John's Church in Rapids City.

Jerry was a member of Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church and also of the Catfish Jazz Society. He enjoyed photography and music.

Jerry served in the United States Army and devoted much of his life to helping other military veterans. He served in honor guard for over 1,000 funerals and was part of the Patriot Guard for Honor Flights playing music from the World War II era at the airport until he was too sick to continue it. He was a member of Moline Legion Post 246, Moline V.F.W., East Moline Legion, and Port Byron Legion Honor Guard as well.

Jerry belonged to Quad City Korean War Vets for several years and enjoyed having breakfast with the veterans' groups.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Guinn, EastMoline; daughter, Cindy Guinn, East Moline; brother, Doyle Guinn, Moline; and his nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his brother, Jim.

Online condolences may be left for his family by visiting esterdahl.com