Return to Website

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum

Welcome to the halibut fishing reports and halibut recipe forum. Feel free to post a halibut fishing report in the area where you caught your fish and please share your favorite recipes.

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: British Columbia: Ucluelet Fishing Reports

I've taken halibut in close, off the green buoy. Also taken a decent halibut off the back of the small island, can't think of its name, near Grapefruit Bay. Go north from the green buoy, and look for the small islands. Also took a 77-pounder three miles out and to the south from the buoy. Watch for the underwater troughs.

Most people don't even fish these areas for halibut because they don't know they are there. And they want the get 'em quick locales. It will take more time and effort in these close in areas, but the effort is worth it.

You might also try inside Barkley Sound, especially if the herring or candlefish are spawning.
John

thanx for the tips

Hey guys,

Dad and I will be taking a trip to Vancouver Island (rest of family goes to Mexico leaving the two of us behind, I'm still trying to get my head around that one...) for a fishing trip for a few days, with he intentions of going after halibut. We have the gear for hali (stout rods, heavy lines, and levelwinds), but will also have salmon gear on us (mooching and down-rigger gear, single action reels).

I have had quite a lot of experience wiht hali fishing, so gear and tackle isn't an issue (other than a harpoon, but I'm working on that). We have an open console 40 hp 17.5 ft aluminium boat, we have used it in the ocean a lot, but would rather stay closer to shore. We will also have the standard saftely gear, life jackets, gps, cell phone, VHF, sounder, etc (but no radar).

Any reccomendations of locations, the main place were looking at at the moment is Sooke (weather permitting) and the surrounding area, I think this is where we will most likely be heading to, but are still open to suggestions or warnings. (The boat is on a trailer, so we can move a bit if necassary)

This is probably the last "major" fishing trip me and dad will have together as I am approaching exams and university stuff, and I'm away all summer. So we'd like to make it a good one.

Fishing Reports for Ucluelet on Vancouver Island www.salmoneye.net

For Ucluelet fishing reports visit www.salmoneye.net