Return to Website

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum

Welcome to the halibut fishing reports and halibut recipe forum. Feel free to post a halibut fishing report in the area where you caught your fish and please share your favorite recipes.

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
British Columbia: Port Renfrew Fishing Reports

British Columbia: Port Renfrew Fishing Reports

Re: British Columbia: Port Renfrew Fishing Reports

Fished out of Neah Bay and ran about 25 miles out to Canadian Side of Swiftsure. Caught 13 Hali's in 2 days. Largest being 60lb. What is the deal with the closed area out there. We saw what looked like charter boats fishing in the closed zone. Is this just a laxed enforcement area to keep americans out?
Also saw the most dog fish I have ever seen just boiling on top of the water. there had to be thousands of them. If anyone else has fished out there and has any tips let me know, maybe we can swap some info

Sounds like you did pretty good. They are pretty lax on the Canadian closure zone. I usually see boats in there about half a mile. The dog fish you saw out there are spawning. Not a good idea to use bait out there when you see that many dogs. We were out there this weekend and pulled limits. Were you fishing the tyee hole right up by the closure line?

I am pretty sure we were at the tyee hole. I dont have any gps coordinates to confirm it though. We were fishing the northeastern side of the closure. Hmm we kinda got the other story about the law and the closure zone. we heard from someone that if you go into it make sure you erase your gps track cause the cops will look at it. Dont know if that is true but. Those dog fish where really bad we could not keep them off even when we switched to plastics? Hopefully we will get another trip together here soon. sounds like there are still lots of fish out there? any size to the ones you got?

Our biggest fish was about 50 lbs. I don't know the full deal with the closure but I have never seen any enforcement out there and I have fished the area (not the closure) for about 8 years. We will be up there the first week of August and will most likely be heading to Blue Dot, fishing for kings and halibut. The kings are pretty thick at Blue Dot now. It is a longer run but well worth it.

My wife and I are also going to be in Renfrew the 6th through the 12th of August. We always hope during our 5-7 days there that we get at least one day of good water to make the run to Swiftshure. Moose, how much further is Blue Dot? I've read a lot about it, but don't know anything specific. Would you be willing to share general GPS numbers for the area? We'd really appreciate it. Thanks and tight lines,
Jean

Just returned from 5 days in Port Renfrew. Most beautiful weather we've had in August in a looooooong time. 70's-80's, clear skies, incredible. Fished Swiftsure 2 days for our possesion limit of 6 Halibut. Average 20-25#. Not as productive as years past; we had to work for them this year. No dogfish or Cod. Lot's of Springs on the bank. Second day was tougher as the current was stronger and we had to back troll.
One thing that was obvious was the effectiveness of John's 'Super Scent' (I have no connection by the way and typically NEVER DO THIS). First two hours not a bite. Started using the oil and immediately had fish on. We even had a fish take our jig 30 feet under the boat (240 feet of water) on the retrieve. It had to have followed the jig up from the bottom. I've never written an endorsement before, but there was an obvious difference with and without. Every drop we had a bite fishing the same areas we had gone fishless the drift before. We won't be without again. Too bad it only comes in 4oz bottles.
One more thing, with the East Wind some of the guides were fishing Jordan River and catching 'Big Fish'. We saw a Halibut 125#+ and heard of another. We would of run down, but didn't have any numbers. Antone familiar with that area? We would be appreciative of any assistance.
Jean