Return to Website

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum

Welcome to the halibut fishing reports and halibut recipe forum. Feel free to post a halibut fishing report in the area where you caught your fish and please share your favorite recipes.

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
British Columbia: Telegraph Cove Fishing Reports

British Columbia: Telegraph Cove Fishing Reports

Re: British Columbia: Telegraph Cove Fishing Reports

hi all,
just wanted to see if anybody has beeen up fishing halibut this year at T-cove. We are going up at the end of June in a couple weeks here, and at the end of August. We will give a report when the trip is finished.
Happy Fishing

Just talked to our neighbor who's group just returned from their first trip to the T-Cove/Alder Bay area, a 5 day trip to Double Bay. He stated that Alder Bay's new owner was really cold and nasty to them because he saw they brought their own jigs to fish Halibut. On their first day out he sent them to Stubs on a running tide and laughed at them on their return about loosing a lot of gear to the bottom. They did get a 50#+ Halibut and a couple of other smaller ones during their stay. When taking their pictures, the owner made sure he took the jigs (modified 'Lucky Jigs') out of the pictures. Lots of pressure to buy overpriced equipment at the lodge ($6.00 spreader bars, etc.). The best source of information was their waitress who gave them the straight story and was very nice. When dropped off at Alder Bay Resort at the end of their stay they were never thanked for staying at the lodge or even offered hand shakes. My neighbor said he would never go back unless the management changed. Too bad. When Murry owned Double Bay, it was always a great place to stop by, pick up fresh herring, get a sandwich and a piece of pie during your fishing day. They did get a few Chinook as well from Donnigal Head to Lizard Point and also at Craycroft Wall on green flashers, teaser heads and anchovies. Even the guides said it was slow though.
Jean

well we just returned last night from telegraph. the staff, atmosphere, and weather were all great there. (that surprises me about alert bay staff). The spring fishing was average, we caught 4 fish in 5 days fishing off donegal, anywhere from 10-20lbs. All in all it was slow. August is much better salmon fishing. For halibut the highlight of the trip was a 66lber, our biggest fish ever. It was a real thrill seeing that fish come up. We caught him in the echo bay area. Cant wait to go back in august. any more reports for this area?

o ya, and a local guide out of telegraph who was fishing off donegal head caught a few halibut 10-20 lbs. then one morning he hooked into a monster. he played the fish on his salmon gear for a few hours until well after his clients time was up and he needed to get back for his next trip. he said he couldnt even move the fish off the bottom. he finally just broke the line. he has tons of experience in these waters, and he guarunteed us that this was a halibut. hooked it in 60 feet of water, like most of his halibut. just shows whatis out there.

It was just brought to my attention that my original post reflecting my neighbor's experience at Double Bay Resort, in my late night stupor, mistakingly made referrence to Alder Bay Resort in a negative light. I'd like to apologize to Alder Bay Resort as neither he nor we have ever had a problem or concern there. All of our visits and experiences have been outstanding. We love the resort and hope to return often in the years to come (if they let me in after my stupid mistake). We find the view from the large and private sites outstanding, easy access to the best Halibut holes, and friendly staff to do business with. Please if you have any questions about Alder Bay Resort, based on my post, drop me a line and I will provide the correct scoop. Again, I apologize to Alder Bay from the bottom of my heart.
Jean Carufo