Return to Website

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum

Welcome to the halibut fishing reports and halibut recipe forum. Feel free to post a halibut fishing report in the area where you caught your fish and please share your favorite recipes.

Halibut Fishing Reports & Halibut Recipe Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alaska: Valdez Fishing Reports

Alaska: Valdez Fishing Reports

Re: Alaska: Valdez Fishing Reports

So far this season the fishing has been great in Valdez. The current derby leader is holding at 310lbs. Last week alone 1st and 2nd place weekly leaders were both over 200lbs. As the owner and operator of Halibut Grove charter this season has been fantastic. I'm currently only operating on Saturdays and every Saturday this year has seen a limit of halibut and only one weekend has missed limiting out on ling cod. If your viewing this forum your probably interested in catching trophy halibut and if you are I would suggest purchasing John's trophy halibut torches. I use the torch religously and let me tell that they work! When fished by themselves with other rods you'll outcatch your buddies. The new UV torch will out perform the standard torch also. John recently sent me his new UV torch to try and while using the standard torch along side the UV torch, the UV torch consistly had more strikes. My customer not know the difference in the torches just thought he had the luckly pole. Luck had nothing to do with it. The lights really work. If your thinking of fishing out of Valdez look me up. I'm current only operating on Saturdays and typically only book the week prior. You can contact me directly at mbgrove@mtaonline.net or book through Easy Freeze or Fish Central. Just tell them you want booked on the Halibut Grove. She's a 30' 2003 Almar Sounder walk around w/ heated cabin, latest electronics, full head, refrig, stove, and of course a crew that will provide quality and safe service. Mother nature has her favorites and Valdez is top of the list. Hope to see you there.

Captian Mel Grove

I HAD A CHANCE TO GO OUT ON THE HALBUT GROVE A COUPLE WEEKS AGO,AND I WAS INPRESSED WITH THE WAY CAPTIAN MEL PUT US RIGHT ON THE FISH WE HIT OUR LINIT ONE HOUR BEFORE IT WAS TIME TO HEAD IN AND THAT WAS AFTER THROUGHING A BUNCH BACK.THAY MADE US FEEL LIKE FAMILY AND I WOULD RECAMEND THIS BOAT TO ANYONE WHO WANTS A GOOD DAY AT SEA FISHING.I WILLGO BACK OUT ON HIS BOAT AS SOON AS I CAN.

We will be in Valdez aug 14 - 21/22
Pretty much saturday to Saturday.
Want to take one or two days of chartering.
glad to hear the fishing is good.
yeh@whtvcable.com

robbie

I just noticed that our halibut supply in our freezer is not diminishing as fast as we want! Ken says we can't go back up to fish on the Halibut Grove in Valdez with Mel and Cheryl Grove until we make room for more! What am I to do?! EAT HALIBUT EVERY DAY! That is all there is to it!

If you ever want to experience halibut fishing on a great boat and with a great Captain and crew, you have to quickly reserve a spot with Mel Grove at www.alaskan-adventures-unlimited.com. This guy knows his fishing, and is a natural at making you feel very comfortable and capable. Ken and I fished with Mel, Cheryl (cook, fisherman & first mate) and their son Seth (bait boy and deckhand) in June of 2004. We had a great day of fishing with everyone reeling in a fish regularly enough to keep us smiling. We limited with ease. Our fishing day included a fast ride out to the fishing grounds on the comfortable Halibut Grove, good food and great conversation and laughs! We didn't have to do a thing...BUT FISH! The Halibut Grove rode like a Cadillac everywhere we traveled.

If you have ever wanted to take your wife, family and/or kids out for an AK fishing adventure, but thought you didn't want to chance that they would have a good time...well don't think that way again.

Mel is a seasoned Alaskan man, avid fisherman, outdoorsman and hunter...and Cheryl is usually by his side. He is top notch. (Good family man too.)

I met Mel when the Halibut Grove was being built at Almar Boats in Tacoma, WA where I worked. His personal involvement and dedication to having his boat built (with his special design) for what he wanted to do with it impressed me, and the men building his boat. When the boat was done, he did not opt to have us ship it to AK for him...instead, he traveled on it with his son Seth and another man from Tacoma, WA to Valdez, AK in the Summer of 2003. Hopefully, he can post the story of his trip on his website (if he has time) for everyone to enjoy.

Ken and I had a business near the dock cut up our already filleted halibut (over 100 pounds and Mel filleted it), and quick freeze it for us to fly home with. This made it very nice for us. But, if you can believe it...the morning that we woke up after staying the night in Valdez after fishing...we got in our car and started down the road, talking and laughing about our trip with Mel. Then, I shrieked, "Our fish!" We turned around (3 miles back) and retrieved our fish. True, we had so much fun that we did not think about the fish...just all of the fun we had on the Halibut Grove!

(Ken and I are holding some halibut in a couple of pictures on www.alaskan-adventures-unlimited.com web site! Go take a look!)

GO FISHING!

Fishing season is just around the corner and I'm looking forward to another great season on the Halibut Grove and would love to have you on board. I'm currently taking bookings for Saturdays only until July 2nd and can book any day thereafter until August 27th. You can check out the boat and service at www.alaskan-adventures-unlimited.com Anyone who makes a booking early and mentions you saw this posting, I'll take $15 off the regular price.

See you on the water!

Mel Grove