gary r's Mexico Travel Forum

Welcome to my forum on travel throughout Mexico. Feel free to post a message. I am quite  fond  of Puerto Vallarta, so ask  away...!!!

gary

gary r's Mexico Travel Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puerto Vallarta Restaurant Guide Beck's Best

Hello PV Lovers~

I have stopped making my Puerto Vallarta Restaurant Guide Beck's Best free due to the high cost to me personally. For years, I hiked from spot to spot, dining, taking notes and pictures, talking to owners, managers, waiters, hosts, etc. Though fun and rewarding, it has gotten quite costly figuring in the food and bevs, plane fares, condo rentals and taxis that I realized it was time for a small compensation for this work which is a great benefit to visitors and residents alike, edited almost daily. I do not receive free meals and have called it my labor of love. I have started publishing works in the major PV area newspapers and magazines and have an upcoming radio program.

I am proud that it has become the best restaurant guide of the Puerto Vallarta Bay Area, Bahia de Banderas.

My website is:
http://www.cafepress.com/vallartaguide

Gary
San Francisco, CA.

Here is a small sample of the 300+ restaurants and cafes which are included in the guide:

Dianita's Francisco I. Madero 243A OT/SS.
8am-6pm
Lunch special comida corrida [fast food!] 40p changes daily, choice of 10 entrées, 3 soups, warm tortillas and fresh agua of the day. Often offered: lomo chipotle [pork loin], pollo almendrado, bistek Méxicana [thin steak], chuletas de puerco [pork chops], machaca con huevos [shredded beef and eggs] and pollo spaghetti. Horchata [almond-rice cooler] or Jamaica [hibiscus flowers] drinks. Small, simple, may share table with others, mainly locals. A quick, satisfying in and out spot!

La Dolce Vita
Paseo Díaz Ordáz 674 [Malecón] DT.
222-3852 www.ladolcevita.com.mx dolcevita@dolcevita.com.mx
Noon-2am, 6pm-12am Sunday.
Since 1969, two story favorite on the Malecón serving well-priced Northern Italian pastas, 18 wood-burning oven pizzas, beef carpaccio, garlic shrimp, chicken cacciatore or Parmigiana, 10 spaghettis [like pesto, vongole, Bolognese], penne, fusilli, cannelloni, lasagna, fettuccine Alfredo, osso buco, saltimbocca, 3 fish fillet, tiramisú and gelato. Loved by many locals and visitors. Can be loud. Often features live jazz music.

Roberto's Puerto Nuevo
Basilio Badillo 283 OT/SS.
222-6210/222-4959 www.robertosptonuevo.com exitos@robertosptonuevo.com
Noon-11:30pm
Since 1988, Roberto Castellon has served only seafood, all Pacific and fresh, in many creative ways. Chef Francisco Rodríguez' dishes include smoked marlin 66p, seafood-stuffed chiles 60p, gazpacho soup 42p, fried calamari 60p, 6 mussels 60p, mahi mahi [dorado] 4 ways 105p, fish filet mignon with bacon 105p, whole huachinango [red snapper] 105p, garlic butter fresh catch 94p, shrimp diablo 187p, huge seafood platter, octopus, spaghetti marinara 138p, seafood casserole 132p, chicken au vin 105p and rib eye 154p. Very popular highly ranked local favorite with A/C inside. Beautiful rear courtyard garden area.

Espressions Café
Agustin Melgar 265 at Carmen Serdán
Bucerías, Nayarit.
329-298-0749 mail@espressionscafe.com www.espressionscafe.com
5-10pm Closed Sunday and Monday.
Owners Kerry Campbell and Neil Coleman serve biscuits and sausage gravy 35p, sesame chicken wings 35p, fine sandwiches as Thai chicken wrap, pork loin pita and Italiano all 60p, Asian chicken or chef salad 60p, soup 25/35p, house made desserts as key lime, pecan and frozen peanut butter pies all 35p, turtle cake and chocolate espresso mousse both 40p and nightly specials from 6pm in this neighborhood spot since 2001. Mochas, lattes, soda fountain drinks with ice cream and smoothies all 30p. San Sebastian coffee beans 70p/lb. Antonio Marquez performs 7pm, call first. No CC.

Waterfall Terrace
Cascada y Bosque
Yelapa.
209-5146
10am to 4pm, sometimes dinner.
Pirri and Señora Joya serve fresh excellent International and Mexican classical entrées or breakfast with a pleasant view. Breathtaking 150-foot waterfall, best mid-June to early October. Take a dip! Local live music sometimes.

Latest Edition: Puerto Vallarta Restaurant Guide Beck's Best

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and the surrounding areas~

Most of us love to dine when in a new place or learn more about the town and area where we live! I live in Puerto Vallarta part-time and have been visiting since 1979, so if you desire info, write me anytime. Now you can purchase my famous spiral bound 107 page 365+ restaurants guide which has become a hit with visitors and local residents alike with places ranging from street food up to 5* dining. After 20+ years in the restaurant business, I have learned much about knowing and making tasty food.

By June 2005, Puerto Vallarta Restaurant Guide Beck's Best had progressed from a small document emailed for free into the largest most up-to-date dining guide in the PV Bay Area. For many years, I have hiked from spot to spot, dining, taking notes and pictures, talking to owners and managers. Though fun and rewarding, it had gotten quite costly figuring in the food, beverages, airfares, rentals and taxis. Many told me it was time for a small compensation for this work which is a great benefit to visitors and residents alike, edited almost daily. I do not receive free meals nor accept advertisement, calling it my labor of love. I publish works in most major PV area English language newspapers and magazines and have recorded a radio program for Paco Ojeda's the VU. I am a food columnist for the Banderas News online.

I am proud to release the first 2009 edition.

My listing website is:
www.cafepress.com/vallartaguide
or
www.lulu.com/content/132501

Also available in PV at:

Agave Grill, Morelos 589 near Aldama, inside La Casa del Tequila DT.
bANANaCANtiNA, Amapas 147 at Púlpito, 2nd floor OT/SS.
Boca Bento, Casa Iguana, Avenida 5 de Mayo 455, Mismaloya.
El Arrayán, Allende 344 DT. Lucy's Cucú Cabaña, Basilio Badillo 295 OT/SS.
Mariscos Polo's, Francisco I. Madero 376 OT/SS.
PVRPV, Pino Suárez 210 at Francisco I. Madero OT/SS. Rainbow Tee-Shirts, Púlpito 137 OT/SS.
Vallarta Botanical Gardens, Barra de Navidad Km. 24, 3 Km. past Boca de Tomatlán.

Gary R. Beck
San Francisco, CA./Puerto Vallarta, JAL.
Owner/Editor

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Puerto_Vallarta_OldTown_SouthSide
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Puerto_Vallarta_Gay_Travel

Here is a small sample from my hardcopy spiral-bound guide:

El Arrayán
Allende 344 near Miramar DT.
222-7195
www.elarr... info@elarray... 6pm-10pm Closed Tuesday and August.
Delightful owners Carmen Porras E., Claudia Victoria and chef Mariano Valdés present traditional menu choices of appetizers are plentiful to share for dinner. Named for the Jaliscan flowering tree found in the restaurant's courtyard, this spot offers old Mexican family recipe specialties including impressive pozole de... 4 quesadillas filled with Oax and...chicken breast pasilla and tomatillo 130p, chiles en nogada, very fine beef tenderloin mole 160p, pork Pibil with habañero and black bean escabeche 180p...Open kitchen and lovely romantic partially covered courtyard, featuring an array of art, including local Huichol work, with traditional Mexican influence. Attentive service with abundant portions. Sat. 7:30pm features live music...In 2007, again voted by Virtual Vallarta readers “Best Mexican”...

Boca Bento
Casa Iguana
Avenida 5 de Mayo 455, Mismaloya.
Stewart and Monika Haverlack took over management of Casa Iguana suite resort right off the Mismaloya Highway 200 [Barra de Navidad], moving their fixture of fine dining on Basilio Badillo...achiote miso marinated broiled sea bass fillet with sautéed zucchini, sticky rice in a sweet soy glaze and cilantro chard sauce. The moist delightful flesh was actually red from the marinade and swayed us into thinking it was salmon. Chipotle dusted grilled jumbo shrimp Diablo was a taste bud exciter, served with Pad Thai. The ribs here are...

Lucy's Cucú Cabaña
Basilio Badillo 295 OT/SS.
lucycucu@pv....
Hard to find traditional Mexican creations from Oaxaca and artwork from the Zapotec and Huichol. Best-selling books as Refried...Very whimsical.

Rainbow Tee-Shirts
Púlpito 137 OT/SS. 223-2868
High quality tee-shirts made for order or from stock at good prices. Many colors and styles. Martin and staff will...

Agave Grill
Morelos 589 near Aldama, inside La Casa del Tequila DT.
222-2000
agavegrill@pro www.agavegrill.c
Noon-11pm
Authentic Mexican restaurant with open kitchen in a romantic hacienda featuring an agave tequila

Re: Latest Edition: Puerto Vallarta Restaurant Guide Beck's Best

"Puerto Vallarta Restaurant Guide Beck's Best"

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and the surrounding areas~

Most of us love to dine when in a new place or learn more about the town and area where we live. I live in Puerto Vallarta after visiting since 1979. After 20+ years in the restaurant business, I have learned much about knowing and making tasty food. Beck's Best has progressed into the largest [123 pages] most up-to-date dining guide in the PV Bay Area involving hiking from spot to spot, dining, taking notes and pictures, talking to owners and managers. I publish works in many major PV area English language newspapers, magazines and online news sources. I am a columnist/restaurant reviewer for www.BanderasNews.com www.PVPulse.com www.PVMirror.com and www.myownconcierge.com.mx

My listing website is:
www.cafepress.com/vallartaguide
or
www.lulu.com/content/132501

Also available in Puerto Vallarta at:

Lucy's Cucú Cabaña, Basilio Badillo 295 near Insurgentes OT/SS.

PVRPV, Pino Suárez 210 at Francisco I. Madero OT/SS.

Touch of Gold, Basilio Badillo 277 OT/SS.

My PV home, email me.

Gary R. Beck
Puerto Vallarta, JAL.
Owner/Editor
garyrbeck1@yahoo.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Puerto_Vallarta_OldTown_SouthSide
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Puerto_Vallarta_Gay_Travel

Re: Latest Edition: Puerto Vallarta Restaurant Guide Beck's Best

Just made available for download on Amazon Kindle:

www.amazon.com/dp/B004NEVX7I