9th Infantry Delta Dawgs Message Board

Please feel free to post any questions or messages you wish here. This Message Board is only for questions related to Challenge Coins.

9th Infantry Delta Dawgs Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dustoff Book Research Looking for 9th ID WIA participates

Ron Louie a medic (68-69)with the 45th Medical Co (AA) otherwise known as Dustoff recently contacted us asking if we could lend some assistance to his endeavor of writing a book.

The 45th along with covering the 9th ID, the 4 platoons of the 45th and its detachments were responsible for evacuating the wounded of the 1st ID, 25th ID, 173rd AB, 101AB, 196 LIB, 199LIB, Special Forces, ARVN units and any allied forces in our area of operations (AO) that encompassed 111 and 1V Corp and parts of 11 Corp. Our units came to the aid of allied forces unarmed and sometimes under intense fire, during the foulest of weather conditions that grounded most units, because we knew that life or limb depended on us. Dustoff personnel throughout Vietnam incurred a 30% casualty rate (KIA / WIA) in the course of their missions during the war.

Ron is currently writing a book about Dustoff crews and would like to include stories and reflections about those who were wounded and evacuated by the 45th. Ron tells me since the 9th ID fell within their area of operations, he is confident that most of the 6-31 wounded were evacuated by the 45th. The men of the 45th remember the 9th ID and the Delta as one entity.

In Ron's words to me "Because of my personal sensitvity regarding opening old wounds, I am asking you to poll your membership about this matter. Some may relish the opportunity to tell their story, some may balk and fall prey to even more PTSD symptoms. My goal is to offer help by providing a forum (catharsis) for their individual stories."

If you are interested in sharing your experiences with Ron for his book you can make contact with Ron via email at sf1973@aol.com or contact me and I will provide you with Ron's telephone number and/or mailing address.

Ron would like to have written experiences from now through September 30th however, based on responses he feels as though he could extend that date if necessary.

Mik's Sis
John P. Mikolaycik, Jr.
6/31st Alpha/HHC RTO
RNV 09/69-70
http://www.vietnam6bn31inf.com