Whats on your mind in Mt Savage !

Whats on your mind in Mt Savage !
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mt. Savage Genealogy Informtation

Hi Jeff, By chance do any of your trees cover the Payne or Porter families? Thanks, Rosemary

Hi Jeff,
Your Family Trees do not have to be on the
charts. We just supply them for people who may
not have done any family research at all. The
charts make it easier for them to list parents,
grandparents...etc.
We would love to have your information in any
form that you have it.
You can mail it to:
The Mt. Savage Historical Society
PO Box 401
Mt. Savage, MD 21545
Thank you Jeff for your interest. Feel free to
contact me with any questions.
Becky

I will burn them to a CD and send them. They are in book form and several are quite large consisting of over 600 pages. I will be back in Mt. Savage over the Christmas Holidays

My great-grandmother, Mary Jane Clark, was born in Mt. Savage December 1852. She had two brothers, Michael and James, born ca. 1846 and 1848. Her death certificate gives her father as L. J. Clark and her mother as Jane Clark. They were Catholics, so I presume they were members of St. Ignatius. I've been unable to find the family in the 1850 census. Mary appears with her mother and step-father, Henry Quinn, in Piedmont,WV. I would appreciate any information you might have concerning Mary and her family.

Thank you,

John Scarry

Becky, I have several lines of my family in Family Tree Maker that I can put in paper form and probably CD too. Barry has just began to research his family, which includes the George Winter that once owned Evergreen. We are busy getting ready for our Photography show in our store. When that calms down, I'll get the info to you.

Come see our show...the month of October, with a "Meet the Artist" night on Oct. 11 5-8pm during the Frostburg Arts Walk.

Hi Pattysue,
We would love to have a copy of your and Barry's
genealogy information. Our goal is to eventually get a Mt. Savage Historical Society Genealogy Library up and running. I will be working on this project over the winter months.
We get requests for family information all the
time now, but we'll be unable to help alot of those
people until we've collected more family history.
Thanks Pattysue. Let me know when you have your
info ready and I will pick it up or you can drop it
off.
Becky

Becky, long time no chat, how are you and your family doing? We have had a rough time last year with dad passing and now keeping my mom going strong. But she is really doing great especially getting through the past holidays. We will be celebrating her 71st birthday on Jan 31, 2008.

Hey I have info you all can add but how can I send it to you all by emai, there is lots.

Great place here and glad I am back on line so we can chat again.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,
I'm so glad to hear from you ! I have been thinking about you.....I was doing some research the other day and ran across some info that you may be able to use. Of course you may already have it...but I will email it to you just in case your don't.
I was so very sorry to hear about your dad....and I'm sure the holidays were very hard for your whole family, especially your mom. It's good that you are there to help her through this time.
We would love to have your genealogy to add to
our collection. If it's a lot as you say, would it be possible to put it on a CD and send it ? Either that or printed out. Which ever way is best for you.
Again, it was great to hear from you. I have your email now and will keep in touch.
Take care Kathy.
Becky

I recently purchased an antique steam engine at a swap meet. The engine is old and has fallen into disrepair, but it has obviously been restored at some point. I found markings on a tag "Made 1970 by Raymond-Thomas Lancaster Mt Savage, MD". The tag itself is an original tag bearing the serial number for the engine, and the above marking were stamped on the back of it. I wonder if there is anyway to find out who Mr Lancaster is/was?

Hi Becky and Historical Society,

My great grandfather James Joseph McCusker was born in Mt. Savage in 1875 to J.P. McCusker and Mary Ann Kelly McCusker. J. P. had something to do with the brick manufacture there. I would be pleased to share my family history with you. Which would you prefer mailed hard copy or emailed digital copy? I have pictures of J.P., Mary Ann, James Joseph and his family.

Shari Pepper

Hi Shari,
I was very happy to receive your email....and would love to have your family history.
We are going to be using hard copy and digitals in our Genealogy Archive Center.
Right now, most of what we have is in printed hard copy form. So, whatever is best for
you.
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. If you are ever in the Mt. Savage area,
please let me know ahead of time and I would love to give you a tour of our historic
buildings and sites.
Also, if you email your address to me, I will mail you a copy of our latest newsletter.
Thanks again Shari, and I will be looking forward to receiving your family history.

Becky Korns, Secretary
Mt. Savage Historical Society

Hi Becky,

I will send to you a hard copy of my family history.

In searching Maryland web sites I found that the McCusker house on Old Row was listed as an historic site. Does Old Row still exist? Are you aware of any pictures that might exist of Old Row?

Shari

Hi Shari,
Yes Old Row still exists. In fact our historical
society musuem is a 3 story duplex row house that
was built in the mid 1800's to house the Irish immigrants. If you will go to the home page of this
website and click on "Town Photos" and then click
on "Old Row" you will see some great pictures of Old
Row. I will be emailing some other information I
have for you. Thanks Shari, and we are looking forward to receiving your fmaily history.
Becky

Hi Becky,

Thank you for the information on Old Row.

Shari

To Shari Pepper,

My husband appears to have the same ancestors... McCusker. His grandmother, Bernadette McCusker born in 1879 in Mt. Savage to parents, John McCusker and Mary Kelly. If this is same family, it might be that your great grandfather, James Joseph and Bernadette might be siblings!! I do not have any other information ... Please advise. Thank you... It would be amazing if there is a relationship and fill in some of the blanks for us!! THX in advance.

Marion

Becky-
I have a tree on Ancestry.com that contains about 26,000 individuals. Most of my people hail from Mt. Savage, Lonaconing, Barton, Westernport through to Piedmont and WV.
I would be more than happy to share this info. but the shear volume may make that impossible. I can invite the site as a guest,perhaps and this would allow anyone to access through your site.
Let me know if you are interested and how we can work together. Some of the Names include: Moran,Lynch,Saxton,Evans,Doyle,Lancaster,Decker,Phillips,Atkinson,Dye,Broadwater,Beeman,Arnold and many others.
Mike

Travis Kirkpatrick
I recently purchased an antique steam engine at a swap meet. The engine is old and has fallen into disrepair, but it has obviously been restored at some point. I found markings on a tag "Made 1970 by Raymond-Thomas Lancaster Mt Savage, MD". The tag itself is an original tag bearing the serial number for the engine, and the above marking were stamped on the back of it. I wonder if there is anyway to find out who Mr Lancaster is/was?

My great aunt & uncle - George and Edie Derrick - lived next door to Lancaster in Mount Savage. He had a large garage full of steam engines of various shapes and sizes. He also had a spectacular model railroad layout in his house that he'd show once in a while. Much of what he had he built himself.

My dad is Thomas Francis Moran, who is also from Mount Savage.

My grandfather was Michael Aloysius Moran.His father was a Thomas Francis Moran.The Lancasters are related to the Morans and hold the deeds to the family burial plots.There is a lot of info on the family tree in ancestry.com , including pictures. A thomas Moran servrd in WWI and one the pictures includes him in uniform and as a shop foreman of a RR manufacturing crew in Mt.Savage. Your cuz?Mike

Re: Mt. Savage Genealogy Information

Michael, after talking with my dad it would appear we are second cousins.

1 My dad is Thomas Francis Moran
2 His father is Thomas Francis Moran
3 His father is Thomas Francis Moran, and
4 His father is Thomas Francis Moran.

I think we share #3 as our common great grandfather. #2 died at age 50 after his seventh (!) heart attack. #1 is still alive and kicking at 83, lives in a retirement community in Springfield Va. His sister Winnie lives nearby. I am married with 2 kids, living in Oakton Va (near Fairfax, outside DC). Where do you reside?

Tom

Hello,
Raymond Lancaster was my great uncle. He and his brother James built several steam engines in the 60's and early 70's. They were sometimes helped by my grandfather Gilbert.

Re: Mt. Savage Genealogy Information

Glenwood,Howard county,Md.-1/2 between Baltimore and Frederick off I-70

Hello Raymond

It just so happens that we are working on one of their inventions. It's a replica of a 440 locomotive. It is big enough to use car tires on the back driver wheel's and is powered by an air cooled 4 cylinder. It is now owned by the Miller family here in town. Hoping to get it on the road for this weekends Iron Rail Days.