Return to Website

RMA Rough Rider Association Message Forum

The purpose of this forum is to provide a forum for cadets and friends of Roosevelt Military Academy to renew and maintain friendships and to post information of interest to the RMA Community. There are no restrictions on topics for discussion. We just ask that everyone keep their notes polite and civil. Don't forget to include a subject to your message.

RMA Rough Rider Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RMA VISIT

TO ALL
I HAVE RECENTLY VISITED THE CAMPUS AFTER AN ABSENCE OF 55 YEARS. IT WAS AN EXPERIANCE THAT WILL REMAIN WITH ME A LONG TIME. THE MEMORIES OF TIMES LONG PAST WERE RENEWED JUST SITTING ON THE SLAB, THEY WERE LIKE IT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY WHEN I WAS DOING PT'S FOR THE DEMERITS I HAD EARNED. I COULD STILL SEE MY ROOM, FROM OUTSIDE A LOCKED NILES HALL. I WALKED TO THE BOILER ROOM WHERE I HAD STOOD FIRE WATCH. I LOOKED UP AT THE FIRE ESCAPE SLIDES, AND REMEMBER GETTING CAUGHT TESTING THEM. THE STABLES THOUGH NOW PRIVATELY OWNED ARE STILL THERE AS ARE THE INITALS YOU CARVED IN THE STALLS. THE ROOSEVELT TREE I REMEMBER REACHING AROUND IT THEN AN EASY TASK, BUT NOW MY ARMS ARE TO SHORT TO DO IT, I MUST HAVE GOTTEN SMALLER EXCEPT MY BELLY THAT SEEMS TO BE A LOT LARGER NOW THAN THEN.
TO ALL THAT HAVEN'T BEEN THERE FOR A WHILE YOU GOTTA GO BACK AND REFLECT A WHILE,, I DID, AND WILL AGAIN.

MONTE "GENE" SHALANDER COMPANY G 1950

Re: RMA VISIT

I have experienced the same and yes, I would suggest if someone has the chance to visit the campus they should do so. Memories are something that wont erase. Hopefully they make you feel good..

Enjoy
Rick