Return to Website

RMA Rough Rider Association Message Forum

The purpose of this forum is to provide a forum for cadets and friends of Roosevelt Military Academy to renew and maintain friendships and to post information of interest to the RMA Community. There are no restrictions on topics for discussion. We just ask that everyone keep their notes polite and civil. Don't forget to include a subject to your message.

RMA Rough Rider Association Message Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Happy Hanukah

I would like to wish all our Jewish friends a " Happy Hanukah". I have noticed Hanukah spelled more then one way before. This is the way I spelled it. Is there a reason for the different spellings? Anyhow enjoy the season...and Shalom !

Re: Happy Hanukah

Happy Chanukah to you too! As in almost everything in Jewish life, and this includes languages and habits, it seems that, everyone does things as they see fit. Some sidurims, (prayer books), for example, will spell Shalom as Salom.
You can get a prayer, printed in two different books and, you will get several different spellings. Which one is correct? Neither.
The Jewish language is the one with the symbols not the one with the Roman alphabet. That is called, transliterated Hebrew and it was created for those of us, the mayority, who do not read the real Hebrew language. So, Shalom or Hanukah is written the way it is supposed to be pronounced.
I don't know if it makes sense but, nothing in the Middle East really does, right?