message forum where we can share our
community thoughts and ideas.

PLEASE VISIT US OFTEN AND ENJOY!

WWW.COVINGTONOHIO.ORG
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Voting Yes to a new school

I think it is extremely important that when the time comes to vote for a new school to be built, our community needs to vote yes to build this new school that is being proposed. Within the last couple of years almost all the communities around us inlcuding Troy, Piqua, Bradford and soon Pleasant Hill have either built new schools or new additions. I think it is essential that our school and town keep up with our surrounding communities. This will surely keep people and attract people to our community. Not to mention attract good teachers.

Re: Voting Yes to a new school

WE NEED A NEW SCHOOL LIKE I NEED A HOLE IN MY HEAD!

I grew up in Covington and attended all three schools including the elementary, middle, and high school during my school years. The Middle school is the oldest school building and if we do not build a new school to house all three schools like the plan is,then the middle school will surely have to be renovated in order for Covington schools to be fully accessible to disabled children and to stay current with other local areas. I'm sure the elementary building is not in much better shape than the middle school.
So to those of you out there that think this will become a tax burden on you to build a new school, you may want to inquire on the cost of renovating what we currently have. Either way we need new or updated facilities. So when it comes time to vote please make sure you are educated and have all the facts straight before you vote NO. I have young children who are just getting ready to enter the school system and I would love to see them have the opportunity to be educated in updated facilities.

Oh TAXED TO DEATH, you’re paying it one way or another. I’ll agree with you that we are overtaxed. But I’m also realistic to how this thing is going to play out. You’ve got a choice. You can approve paying the new taxes for a new building with the state paying half, or you can pay it for the upkeep of the current buildings. The current buildings are not going to make it much longer and I’d predict a levy to continue to operate them within the next 3 to 5 years if the efforts for a new building fail. All three need roofs in the next few years and all of them will need heating work including a boiler for at least the middle school. It cost over $30,000 just to replace a steam pipe at the elementary school last year because of the asbestos. And what do you think will happen when Strickland has the school year start 20 days earlier in August and end 20 days later into June and then requires the schools to have air conditioning because of going to school in the Summer and does not fund it? You don’t think that will result in tax levy to add the A/C to all three buildings? And don’t even start to think about how efficiently things like A/C will run in a building like the middle school and the operating cost for that which will the end up with us paying a new operating levy. Or we could build one new building which even with A/C is expected to run at least 20% more efficient than the three buildings we have combined right now with no A/C. Yes, that is correct, run 20 cents cheaper on the dollar to operate than we are currently paying to operate the buildings (so no Bradford situation where they were surprised by the new increase in cost to operate the building).

So you have a choice, vote against a levy that will allow us to get down to one, more efficient building that will hopefully also enhance the appearance of the community to future employers and residents (more people to split the tax burden with and in turn reduce the taxes we may each need to pay in the future) and raise the property values of those of us who live here. Or you can pay the taxes in the future to keep the three building we have operating. There is a reason that every other district in Miami County and every other school in the Cross County Conference have either already completed new buildings in their districts or are working on them. So unless you move out of the district, or some big donor or big taxpayer moves in, you are going to be paying a new tax to operate the schools. You can choose now what you get with your money.

Having attended several meetings I am still concerned that the high school being 30+ years old is being considered to be torn down. We entrusted the school board and superintendent to maintain and take care of these buildings and frankly if we are even talking about tearing them down and then giving 12 million dollars for a new building doesn't make sense. What message are we sending to our children----let it fall apart and then ask for more money---I don't think so! If we think like the school board we should tear all the homes down in town that are older than 30 years?? And ask someone to give us money to build new ones! I'm beginning to wonder what kind of education our children are really getting. Responsibility needs to improve and a large dose of common sense!!!!

YEA YEA KEEP UP WITH THE JONES'S !!

This guy hit the nail on the head! Times are tough, suck it up and make due with what you have.There is nothing wrong with our school buildings. If you want a new school , move to Bradford!

After reading "Covingtion School Supporter's" thoughts about the new building, a few thoughts come to mind, one everyone was brought up hearing ...... If a group of people or cities jump off a cliff, do you follow? Second, are/was these comminities still paying for a new water facility that was needed at the time?

I have to disagree with some of your thoughts as one thing was not mentioned that is crusial. If our city officials were to recieve or try to recieve a corret grant then all this bickering wouldn't be needed. A repair/upgrade grant would be exactly what we need in this case. As someone else said, Common Scense goes along way if we dare venture in this direction.

Look at all the vacant homes in the community already. What do you think will happen if this new school levy passes? You can easily go up and down the streets and see 20+ homes up for sale at any givin time. Now imagine this levy passing as nothing is getting "better" during this recession.

What little people we have to pay taxes in this community is shrinking instead of expanding and I'm sure this will be the going trend as this recession progresses. Unless a fairy moves in next door and donates a great amount of money then you have to admit times are tough right alone new higher taxes being imposed.

In result we have to get on our city officials to get the correct grant we need instead of settling on any one that comes through the door first as I don't see todays kids failing subjects at school because of central air issues, lord knows I graduated without it.

Also doing your part to help if your that concerned wouldn't be a bad thing either, write these grantors and help instead of settling like our city have decieded to do. One thousand plus or so letters from one community might make an impact that could make us all happy.

Sincerly,

Mr. Kessler

After reading Covington's Building Project Information and this quote from the bottom of their so called promotion then you make your own minds up.

"In addition to the students benefitting from the new building, the village of Covington stands to benefit from this project as well. Included in the plan are
improvements to drainage on the east end of Covington, as well as the deeding of the Middle School to the Covington Area Improvement Corporation for redevelopment into Independent Senior Housing."

Now my questions are if we don't vote in favor of this then improvements to drainage on the east end won't get done? And the Middle School isn't good enough for your kids but is good enough for our senior's? It sure don't take a rocket scientist to see a line of bull a mile long!