community thoughts and ideas.

PLEASE VISIT US OFTEN AND ENJOY!

WWW.COVINGTONOHIO.ORG
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My question for the city officials of Covington

Dear City Officials,

After my first official effort to request additional steet lights for the village of Covingon for all the many dark streets and alley's and being declined, my question is why did I have to spend my time to come to the town meeting just to finally get an answer from someone other then the Govenor himself without any explanation what so ever? I personally find that nothing but rude and inconsiderate. The bad part is I had to ask the woman who takes the water bills in the new city building if there was a result yet from my visit before I even got an answer.

This is a perfect example as to why I and alot of others feel our city council is a truely none-working part of the city. We have a great community with alot of caring people who wanting nothing more then a happy, healthy and safe community. So where does this leave the city officails?

Mr. Chris Kessler

Re: My question for the city officials of Covington

I apologise for saying Govenor when I ment to say Mayor as that was the only name that came to mind at the time I wrote the letter.

You raise a few very important issues here.... first, and I speak both as a Councilman and a concerned resident...

- every member of this community deserves a prompt and courteous reply to their inquiries or concerns...even the initial repsponse is 'we'll look in to it and get by xxxx'

- street lighting has been raised before, and is probably sub-standard (would take a lighting expert to say if so, and to what degree)

- sufficient street lighting is important both for public safety (so drivers can see pedestrians, for example), as well as public security (to deter criminals and potential criminals)

- street lighting can be very expensive to upgrade, and would require significant planning to ensure that any investment was a relative and appropriate priority

- street lighting should be one of the topics of the town's 'Strategic Plan', a five-year vision that should kick off in Q1 this year and should include a broad cross-section of the community to address issues exactly like this, as well as drainage, economic development, sidewalks, expansion/annexation, etc.

- I hope you can join in the Strategic Planning efforts, and thank you very much for your comment. Please do come to a Council meeting to introduce yourself and say hi...

First I would like to apologise for my untimely response as my intensions were not to bash the city as we do have a great town but to right a wrong by expressing my thoughts. I appreciate the indepth explaination for my concerns of street lighting and hope things will be handled alot better in the years to come for those whom venture uptown to the city council meetings.

As for the offer of helping in the Strategic Planning efforts, I feel at this time that I don't have the right amount of time to offer as I should to be much help but know I am honored just the same.

Thanks,

Mr. Chris Kessler