Return to Website

Albanian History Forum

We invite any viewers to share comments or questions that they might have about the history of Albania with all viewers of this site! We are dedicated to getting the word out on the History of Albania and would like to share the feelings of the community toward the history of this nation.

Albanian History Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Albanian tribes

I just want to comment on what you say about Skenderbeg. I, as an albanian, know quite well that he was of serb ancestry. He wasn't Albanian in any way, which partly explains his pointless conflict with the Ottoman Empire, one that hurt the albanian people for some years and had no result in the end. I dont consider him as a hero, but a traitor to albanians. On your other points I don't feel you can state that there is "historical data" about serbians in the district when speaking about years in the B.C. By reading the enclycopedia, one finds that the earliest serbs came into the region in 8th century A.D.

Thank You.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

There are 2 questions I would like someone to answer; the first one is : How do you comment and explain the traditions of many of Gege tribes that their predecessors have not been of Albanian origin, for example - "Leke Dukagjini", as you call him, or duke John Alexander, for which is known (in historical datas, as well as in the tradition of Dukagjini), that he was not Albanian, and that he came in 15 century BC, from Raska - Serbia. Was he of a Serb origin? Or, what do you say about the similar traditions in some other northerh Gege tribes that found some Serbian tribes in today's Montenegro, their relatives? That means that all those tribes have same predecessors, if we believe their traditions are true. And we must not forget that the Albanian people is very strong in keeping ancient traditions in the right form without any changes.

The another question is about "Skenderbeg". Who was he and where did he come from? I ask you this, because all historical datas say that he was a Serb. Did you know that his brothers bare purely Serbian names (Stanisa, Repos, Konstantin), as well as his father (Ivan) and grandfather (Pavle). His father was a member of Serbian aristocracy, and like all of the others, has strongly helped the Serbian monastery of Chilandar on mt Atos in Greece, in which he was burried. You should also read "The Memorries" of Greek despot Jovan Musaki, who lived in Skenderbeg's time and cooporated with him, and he considered him 100% Serb.

And the last thing, what does the word "Kosovo" mean in Albanian language? What about names of the cities and other sites in Kosovo, in which there is not one Albanian? How do you comment that? And in the same time, there are historical datas about the cities in Albania that were well known in the middle ages by their non-Albanian names, by their Serbian names, like the today's city of "Berat", which was known by the 11th century as "Beligrad" ("The White City" in Serbian language, just like the modern Serbian capital). And that was by the 11th century, or before year 1043 AD, in which a Greek historian Michael Atalait wrote about the first Albanian newcomers that came to Balkans from Italy in the army of Georgios Maniak. Not one historical data even mentioned Albanians in Balkans before that year. Some other datas tell much about Albanians in Caucasus (Persian and Arab documents), where you shoul search for the real country of origin for the Albanian people.

Bes regards,

Dorijan Zidek, Ljubljana, Slovenia

Re: Re: Albanian tribes

I aqm sorry to say but Serbian origins are not mor older than 10th century. while albanians are then from more than 2000 years.
Make the difference my friend.
***** see more *******
It has already been mentioned that the first Serbian tribal gathering took place under Czaslav in the middle of the 10th century. He successfully consolidated his rule and Serbia with the aid of Constantine Porphyrogenitus, who in his work De Administrando Imperio under the Serbian name encompassed the present Bosnia extending to the rivers of Pliva, Cetina, and Lijevna in the west. In the east the Serbian border (towards the Byzantine Empire) reached Ras and in the north Mt. Rudnik and possibly the Sava river. On the grounds of this, Porphyrogenitus mentioned that within the boundaries of Czaslav's state and under the Serbian name lived the Bosnians, Rashani, Trebinjci, Konavljani, Dukljani, Zahumci, and Neretljani. The same was pointed out by B. Grafenauer. He stated that Serbia from the mid 11th century, once and for all, united the regions of Raska, Duklja, and Travunia, and at times Zahumlje, Bosnia, and Neretljanska Principality were also pairs of this unified state organisation. Duklja was the centre of development only in the 11th century, while in the 12th century Raska (the Serbia of the time) once again became the mainstay of development; the centre of development then started shifting towards the Morava valley, the Danube river and Macedonia.

first of all in that time alla albanians were catholics and christians so that abou the purelly "serbian" names is just not true. Second of all there has been proven that albanians are in fact old illirians and which untill the VII th century ruled over the balkans. In the beginning of VIIth century hordes of russian gypsies came in balkans from karpats and took advantage of iilyrians fighting in 3 fronts.
So that was a short history.

is a shame and not new what w've been listening from our neigbours be4 and now and what w'll listen but dont forget we dont give a monkey. you should get a map an old map and see it carefully and see if you can find serbia or slovenia or any of you slavs,you dont like us coz we not like you not blue blood and just want to remind you illirians and how far they streched up north till you guys came from, dont know from where maybe from siberia