Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday's crappie and corks

Maybe it was the fact I was sleep deprived and used up from a long work week or possibly because the crappies turned up their noses at my jigs but I was perfectly content watching my cork in hopes of a bite. Normally I seldom sit down while swimming my jigs, changing colors, varying depth all the while watching the Lowrance screen in an attempt to locate fish. Today it felt good to sit back and simply cork fish and let the minnows do the work. Grassy creek had been very good to us this spring. I felt at some part of the day we would connect over one if not more of our favorite brush piles lying in the 15-20 foot depths. Morning proved fruitless as we checked holes heading out of Grassy towards the main channel. Turning the corner with a stiff wind in our face we headed to the bridge pilings. My wife had her game face on and picked off the willing biters hanging close to the pilings. There were down about 10-12’biting softly and small. One out of five making the 10 inch cut for the skillet. I pulled up a chair and watched. She was all smiles. Catching fish has that kind of hold on you. Job stress, bills to pay and the challenges of life all disappeared right along with the cork as the crappies ate our minnows. The bite slowed and we headed back to Grassy in hopes of a late afternoon appearance of the brush huggers. The strong wind was nonexistence as we pulled up into our chosen cove. Anchoring next to a brush pile in 20 ‘of water we finished out our day in a warm 5:00 sun. I was in no rush and neither were the fish but they were there. We managed a decent mess dangling minnows and watching bright corks inching their way out of site. Another blessed day on the water. FISHBUD