Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bass fishing

hey guys how is the bass fishing going down at the lake? what is the water temp now, thanks mount

Anything around Flemingtown Road ramps?

Dad and I made our first fishing trip to Kerr today. Used the ramps off Flemingtown road near Satterwhite Point. Pretty much just did some pleasant drift fishing in a few coves there and between bouy J and bouy M. Used minnows, worms, and cut perch.

Not a stellar day, three white perch including the bait one, and two small cats that may well have been bullhead. Most fish were caught near bottom in 30+ feet of water.

We usually fish Falls Lake, since we live on 401 between Rolesville and Louisberg, but if today is any indication, we will be moving our efforts to Kerr. You guys have a much nicer lake and less boat traffic than Falls, and we really enjoyed being able to fish without being bounced all over by wakes.

Anyway, since we are still newbies and just getting the hang of the lake, has anyone been catching anything that far south, or do we need to run up closer to the VA boarder for the fine crappie and cat fishing I've seen reported here (would also like some rockfish, I miss them from living on the Potomac). Nice sized white perch by the way.

Nice website by the way.

Re: Anything around Flemingtown Road ramps?

what are y'all looking to catch?

We'd love to find some eating size (3-5lb) blue cats, legal striper, or decent sized crappie, white perch, and white bass. Never really target largemouth, no trolling motor yet, so mainly drift fishing or trolling for now.

After fishing pretty much every weekend from last October through December, and restarting in February with almost no fish to show for it, we really want to get the skunk off the boats.

The eating size cats want be any problem this summer just keep doing whatyour doing, but you may want to buy, or catch some shad to fish with. I'm trying to learn these rocks myself,mainly jigging but, got my planner boards and going to troll some this summer, i live between you and the lake if ya'll ever want to team up and try to find a school to jigg on, just let me know,two boats are better than one when your trying to find fish, I only caught three rockfish last year, but I got my equiptment right,now and this year will be better. catching these fish is a trial and error process the main thing is to keep on trying and you will learn.

Keith,
I am trying to learn them rock fish also. I started jigging late last year just about the time when the lake turned over. I would be very insterested in teaming up in finding the fish. Are you using the Super Sisty fish finder?

Yes, I have a super sixty and a new Matrix 17 humminbird fish finder. It was late last year before I finally found a transducer for the super sixty, but its working fine now. Im just waiting for fish to start schooling down around the island, Grassy creek and up that way is a long pull for me, so i try to stay down toward the dam and back toward nutbush.also fish gaston some mainly for cats. you have my e-mail so let me know when you get ready and we will get together and give it a try.

Keith,

I tried to email you and I got blocked.

fish medic, I may have got it, it was caught by spaminator, it blocks everything until I go in and get it out, and add to my address book. But I did'nt see your handle on any e-mails I answered. Let me know..

Thanks for the info Keith. Do you buy your bait at the gas station on Satterwhite Pt. Road? Seems like they have a pretty good selection. Yes, we'll have to see about hooking up and double teaming the fish. Do you monitor VHF?

yep, you can buy shad there also cross nutbush bridge, go to stop sign the little station on left has them, also Pay Jays down near wise sell shad and a few more places, but if your looking to catch channel cats, they will bite about anything, from stink bait to chicken livers. The blues like shad. So I wouldnt really recommend spending alot of money to catch 2 or 3lb channels, good luck!

That's not a bad place...around the marina and pumphouse I've marked a lot of fish on the hummingbird and caught a little of everything. If you night fish, don't tie off to that big metal tower with the big bird nest on top. He drops the bomb about every minute and he aims for the lights. There's some nice catfish in the area.