Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
White Perch

Never have I had such a hard time locating them. Can anyone give me some tips . I try and fish areas around satterwhite pt and up to the dam.
I use minnows on a drop rig and last night I located some large schools of fish but no takers. They were in 24 ft of water suspended to 15. What could these fish have been?

Re: White Perch

...check on the message board - you'll see my posting titled something like "White Perch - (Hey Doc)
I left it a few days ago for a friend of mine. I've been using the method posted and catching over 100 per day (per person in the boat). Almost any main lake point is holding them, and the way I'm fishing for them (described in the post) must be "close to right" judging by the results.
I'll be in the Grassy Creek to Island Creek area tomorrow untill lunch or a little after, stop by and I'll gladly put you on fish. My boat has "Dan River Yacht 2" in big scotch brite letters down both sides of the boat (a little hard to miss).

Thanks. I was planning on trying the Island Creek area tomorrow. . I also use the 3 hook method that you use just have not found the fish. I will be in a small Camp skiff with a 25 on the back. Maybe I will see you

Tried fishing for them "White Perch " this weekend but evidently I sure must not know much about fishing for them as I didn't catch but about 7 fish. "Dan River" ,Do you troll these rigs or do you anchor?
I am not giving hope yet though.But sure would like to see how you catch them I

Didn't burn em up Saturday but did manage a couple dozen nice ones. Also caught 12 decent 2 -3 lb channel cats 1- 8 lb blue cat and a 30" striper all from the same point. Striper hit a minnow on a # 2 aberdeen gold wire crappie hook and 6 lb line. That was fun. Also saw Dan River Yacht. Nice fellow and willing to share his info .

... Way To Go Larry !!! ... I only got 45-50 perch Saturday, and had the cat's hitting the whole day (probably caught 30-35 with all but a few being small ones).
... Good Mornin' Spotdaddy
This weekend must have just been a "bad day" as the old story goes ... the perch were deeper and more spread out this past weekend. I can usually put a hundred in the boat for each fisherman, but as said above only caught 45-50 this past Saturday.
The "main lake" points are usually the best and you'll improve your catch if you'll troll around a point (trolling motor - or as slow as your gas motor will go) starting around 12 feet deep and going deeper as you work your way out from the point. When you mark a decent group of fish, throw a buoy then come back, drop your rigs down, and work all the water for about 50-75 feet around the buoy.
I start off with night crawlers (cut them into short 3/4" pieces and tube them on to the hook) and will usually have from 2-4 hooks (depending on how busy I want to be) on each line. After I catch a small one - I fillet it and use it for cut bait (thin strips about an inch long). They're usually right co-operative. I never anchor down. I've fished both ways and for me - drifting and letting the weight below my hooks bump the bottom - is the most productive.
You may find that you'll get more hits going in a certain direction (especially if it is windy)so change up and see what seems to work best.
The humps and points off of Buffalo/Bluestone, the mouths of both creeks, grassy, Island, eastland - they all usually hold tons of perch. I have seen them hold up in the first coves going in to a creek at times especially when it's windy.
If I can be of any more help just holler.
jpmadren@netmcr.com

was in eastland cr. sunday.first time ever fished there and only caught about a dozen all on the same point.was wondering where or what type of type structure would be best to try.being my first time in eatland and only third time on kerr i was lost as where to start looking for them.any info to shorten search would be greatly appreciated

Long sandy points or flats from 15-25" deep. Lots of times they will show on the fishfinder right on the bottom and look like a small rough hump on an otherwise smooth bottom

thanks,will try again this weekend

tmb,when you but in at eastland creek go under the power line and make a left turn into the cove just past the power line.when you go in bare to the right of the back point.if you fish in that area you will catch some nice white perch,all you need is a crappie rig 1/2oz weight and some small and medium minnows. drop it to the bottom and reel it up two turns and then troll real slow.