Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wanna have a carp tourny??

IF YOU ALL WANT TO HAVE A CARP TOURNY YES CARP LET ME KNOW MAYBE WE CAN GET ONE UP. MAYBE USE STANS,BIBT, DOCK AND SUCH FOR THE STAGING PLACE? SOMETHING EASY SUNDAY OR SATURDAY 9AM TILL 3PM.
NO I WAS NOT PLANINNG ON HAVING A COOKOUT AFTER THE TOURNY!!!

Re: wanna have a carp tourny??

I'm Game. Just let me know when & where.

Im in if I dont have to work. Name the date.

John...I thought you said you have a great recipe for carp???????????...............lol.
I caught a15 lb carp in my cast net in the cove just before getting to Buffalo… you know the cove we caught the other carp in when throwing for shad in one of the show downs. It was so huge had to drag the scale out and weigh it…..catch carp there often in a net although 15 was the largest there… have also caught carp in the net just before going into the marina behind those town houses/condos in that cove. 15 lbs being the largest there also.

Copy & paste the below url to see a huge carp caught at Kerr
http://www.supafish.com/ENTER.htm

The below url is info about carp:
http://www.supafish.com/American%20Fishing%20Holidays%208.htm

John.....don't you think carp & shad would make a great cookout.............

Carp fishing is very hard to do from a boat the way the baits are now. The boat has to be all the way still or you'll have to get em from the bank.

Make room on the poontoon for me..(nothing like inviting yourself) use to catch some huge ones on the Kananwha in WVa. What ever happened to the guy that wrote in so much from England last year, anyone know ? Tight lines to what ever ya want to catch...MikeR..

Just below the kerr lake url mentioned above, there's a button called "fishing tips one". It offers a "UK view" about Kerr lake. Its very offensive to multiple groups of people. So what is this site and why are they foccussed on Kerr? Start with what they are trying to sell ( http://www.supafish.com/Services.htm ) . OK, now off that same page click thru to the important announcement. Read the last few sentences ("venues like Kerr lake...") to get a view of how Kerr fits into this. They came to kerr on an initial trip that can be read all about by clicking the "american carp trip" link off that same services site. After you get there, click the "diary" link.

Overall this is very interesting stuff. You all know my feelings on carp, but then I'll tell anybody that I only focus on the cats. Heck I even grimace when one of those big silver scaled sardines takes off with a perfectly good blue set. So these guys seem to be adding Kerr to their list of high-end carp destinations. If we can look past the offensive content in the website, this would be positive for the longhaul assuming of course, that they would protect our resource as being the gem it is (ie, safe, legal practices, care to avoid non-native species introduction, etc). I wish them great luck and as with those that chase stripers, bass and all the rest on Kerr, I'll help them out however I can.

Its a funny thing: on one section of the site they go way out of their way to insult "us". In the "fishing tips one" button they say "I have to thank all the ones we talked to as they were really friendly and they shared the information they had, as did we, with genuine enthusiasm. ". But then for some reason, even though it seems the collective "we" opened our arms to them, they felt the need to trash the American's all over this site. What can I say because I surely cannot explain it...they even take whacks at their host (Larry) while they were here. Maybe I'll meet them on the water someday and they can explain to this "American" why they took such an angle to portray us all as barbaric dummies....jfo

That was pretty offensive JFO. Europeans in general carry a little bit of a "holier than thou" attitude in my opinion, but some of the comments made were pretty silly. The pad looks great! I am sure you guys are excited about it. I still really want to go out with you sometime and do some catfishing. I am an amatuer, but have never gone with anyone who knows what is going on. Let me know if you would like to go sometime. If you will share some tips and knowledge, I will bring everything else we need and throw in on gas!

WORMER

Re: jfo

I KINDA TAKE THAT AS A NO YOU AIN'T GONNA FISH THE TOURNY BUT CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG. HOWEVER WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE BE ONE OF THE OFFICIAL'S? CHECK THE FISH HELP WITH STARTING AND WEIGH IN?

Actually I'm pretty curious about this, sure I'll help if there's any way I can. I never linked up any of the local folks to that web-page, in fact just the opposite - seems to me we welcomed those Euro-carp folks very warmly...I just don't get why they chose to go so negative on us on their site...jfo

i`m in for a good ole boys tournament.carp anit that hard to catch.

I really don’t think the guy was trying to be negative about us, to me the article really starts with the “Fishing & Tips” page with it titled “FISHING FROM A UK PERSPECTIVE”.

The guy is trying to sell his services to the European market, so I guess I’m just trying to be objective in his views. It seems the norm for them and us is quite different and I feel like he is trying to prepare his clients for that difference. I would say the guy was very opinionated in his views, especially the statement about the number of guns his host owned and game in the host freezer. Just as he was saying, “when you fish Kerr you are on their territory. If you do come across another angler don't get into arguments about how to handle fish and don't be offended by the way they fish”. I was amused with his views and tried putting the shoe on the other foot, wondering what my prospective would be if I was somewhere in Europe fishing. Would I be thinking what in the world are these guys doing, they don’t know how to fish???

This makes me think a little about CPR, religion, and politics to name a few hot topics and how differently people view these things here in the states.

Some info I ran across on flying Asian carp, copy and paste the url to your browser address bar:

http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/carp6_20031106.htm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/26/eveningnews/main523372.shtml