Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Phishing

Si I get this email from "ebay" tonite. It says my account information is out-of-date and my account might be suspended. "Click here" it says, to update your account.

So I notice this url is pretty complex, something looks fishy. Then I notice its out of the UK, which is odd for ebay. I leave that screen open and log into ebay into my account and verify that nothing is out-of order or needing update. So I close off everything and turn on all the shields and click this "update" link. It fills the url window with an IP address for 2secs and then overstrikes the url window with a screenpaint of a legitimate ebay url. A few tries and I get the IP address as it flashes by...that address is currently unassigned located in Australia...somebody has hacked a nameserver...(At this point I have eggzactly the same feeling as when I have a 40+ flattie on the line). Btw, the page looked just like ebay with all the logo's, windows etc intact and its asking me to log in with my ebay username and pw! If I give them that they have ME hacked!

So I quickly log out of everything and write the spoofing guys at ebay. In 9 minutes flat they write me a personal email back confirming the original email, url and ebay spoofed webpage was not legit...thanks for the timely information on a still-hot hack and "we're already working with the appropriate authorities" to catch these guys who seem to be hacking ebay using all kinds of "unique" ideas....wow 9 minutes!

Do not ever give up your username or pw or pins to adhoc solicitations....jfo

Re: Phishing

joe thats pretty sharp.have you ever thought about starting your own detective service.

You would be surprised how many trusting people get caught in this trap.

My grandparents love their computer but it scares me when they get online, being from the good old days when you never locked your doors and didnt worry so much when your kids played outside they are easy prey for a scam like this.

Hehehe.....don't mess with JfO.

IF YOU ARE ON EBAY YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING ONE OF THESE EMAIL I HAVE RECD SEVERAL. I WAS ON THE EBAY CHAT ROOM AND SOME WOMAN SAID "I THINK I'VE BEEN SCAMMED" SHE HAD FOLLOWED THE LINK AND GIVEN THEM ALL HER BANK AND CREDIT CARD INFO! THE LAST ONE OF THESE I GOT WAS FROM SOUTHTRUST BANK! NICE EMAIL REAL OFFICIAL LOOKING AND STATED SOUTHTRUST WAS GOING TO BE DOING ROUTINE MAINT ON THEIR SYSTEM AND NEEDED ME TO FOLLOW THIS LINK AND FILL IN THE INFO. WELL A COUPLE OF PROBLEMS I AIN'T A SOUTHTRUST PERSON, NO ACCOUNT THEIR SO I CALLED THEM, SOUTHTRUST, AND REPORTED THIS AND THEN SENT THE EMAIL TO THEIR SITE. ONE LITTLE TRICK THAT IS EASY TO DO IS TRY AND COPY AND PASTE THEIR EMAIL, IT USUALLY WILL NOT PASTE WHAT YOU TRIED TO COPY. IT WILL SAY IN 1983 THE BEATTLES SANG OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. ANYWAY STAY AWAY FROM ANY EMAILS ASKING FOR YOUR INFO.

I visit e-bay often and have a Pay Pal account that I have used to pay for e-bay purchases. I got a similar e-mail from pay pal saying my account info needed to be updated. Started to reply and then reconsidered and deleted the e-mail. If the e-mail is legit and my pay pal account gets canceled for not updating my bank account info, I'll just open a new one. New rule for me is DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAILS ASKING FOR BANK, CREDIT CARD OR OTHER IDENTITY INFO.

@ nightrain.