Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carp Locations in Kerr

Ya'll might think I'm crazy but I have never caught a carp and I have heard their pretty fun to tangle with.
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to let me know where they see a lot of these critters in buggs island lake. I will probably be on foot so shore fishing would be best for me.

Thanks in advance for any information,

--mike

Re: Carp Locations in Kerr

Mike,
I have a palce at Buggs and spend the majority of my time bass fishing, but love to carp fish with my family and watch them fight the 20 lbers. Would be glad to share what little I know or even show you if your interested. You can e-mail me at bfarrington@newgenerationyarn.com

hey bobby, have you found any good spots in the upper lake area....?

HI I'M THINKING OF GETTING A CARP TOURNY UP HERE AT THE LAKE YOU GUYS IN? I HAVE A POSTING HERE ON THE SITE.

carp are some awesome fighting fish, ive still not caught one, because i always hooked them when i was fishing for bream on small poles. and they broke my line. the falls lake tailrace, is an awesome place to catch carp, use corn, at that place.

good luck

Major Cat,
I fish for carp in the Island Creek area just because it is close to my home. I feel you will have to somewhat bait you a hole to draw them in and they will come from everywhere. I have always found the more you fish or keep throwing bait, they will eventually come to you form all directions. I have fished consecutive days catching none on the first day and having one on three different rods at once the next day. I think the majority of carp fishermen do a certain amount of baiting before fishing especially on a lake as large as Buggs.
Bobby

Would I just pour a can of corn overboard to bait them up?
I've seen some huge ones at lower bartrum creek (at Falls), but I've never targeted them. I once knew a guy that would bow fish for them w/ a bow & arrow. I rarely eat fresh water fish, so catch and release is all I do anyway. If they fight good, then I'm all about it!
What's the best way to target these fish? Small hooks and heavy line? braided? Any info is much appreciated.

Duck, from what I know you're dead on the money. They love whole kernel corn, bait you a spot and use corn for bait. In the carp pond up around Hendersonville NC we'd use a 3 way swivel with 2 leaders with size 6 hooks on them and a good sized sinker. Bait the hook with a Sugar Corn Pop cereal and then take a grenade-sized rice ball around each corn pop. The rice mixture was made by taking an old strofoam minnow bucket, put in a box of minute rice, a big spoon of mustard, a few dashes of Texas Pete, and HOT water, mix and put the lid on the bucket for 20-30 minutes. By the time you got to the pond the rice was good and sticky. Put a yellow pipe-cleaner loop about 2" diameter on the rod before you cast. After it settles to the bottom, tighten up your line and slide the pipe cleaner down onto the line a couple of feet from the rod so you can see it move when you're getting a bite. Then kick back and watch the pipecleaner. I never won the big fish money on any of the nights I went to the pond, but it was good fun. That'd be easy money for somebody with a pond. They charged $2-$3 per night, it was catch and release so they never ran out of fish, and there was always +/- 100 people out there on weekends.