Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
White Perch (Hey "Doc" !!!)

Hey FISHDOC - I forgot your office phone and couldn't get Bo on the phone but wanted you to hear about my day Sat. (and to thank you again for getting me started on these things !!!)
Was down at the area I've been workin' the past good while and took a man and his 8 year old son down and plumb ruint that boy. We put 250-300 in the boat, kept 61 nice-uns (probably throwed back 4-5 for every one we kept) but the part I wanted to tell you about ... we went over some deep fish (from 22'-28' in 28 feet of water ... I figured it was white bass, but we droped the rigs down and the boy's 3 hook rig never made it to the bottom. He hollered and with the way they was pulling I thought he either had several big white bass or catfish - about that time mine went down, and his daddy's too ... after several minutes of hard fighting the boy pulled in 3 of the prettiest white perch I've ever seen caught at once, then I got mine in (4 hook rig) and had four of the same, and the boys daddy had 3 more on his 4 hook rig. In that one catch,we ended up with 10 that went from 12.5" smallest to 13.25" largest all caught at once.
It was about quittin' time and I figured that we'd have a hard time better'n that 1 catch so we called it quits. A great way to end a morning. Hope you're having your usual "fantastic" days. I'll be on 2nd in a few weeks working 4 to midnight, so if you need someone to hold down the other end of the boat - just holler.

Re: White Perch (Hey "Doc" !!!)

HEY!!D.R.Y. MAN, Y'ALL TORE EM UP!!GLAD TO HEAR IT!!BET THAT YOUNG FELLA IS RUINED FOR LIFE, LIKE YOU AND ME!!HA HA ...WE BEEN TEARING UP THE WALLEYES AT PHILPOTT,BUT I WENT TO RCL THIS AM AT 8 AM. CAUGHT A 9 LB BASS,8LB. BASS, 7 LB. BASS, 6 LB. BASS, AND 4LB BASS,PLUS 5 SMALLER ONES. BEST I'VE DONE OVER THERE THIS YEAR. GOIN TO TAKE A BUDDY TO PHILPOTT TUES. MAYBE WE CAN GET TOGETHER LATER THIS WEEK.WORK #2360

Read this site every day but never repied.Was wondering what do these perch bite best and how do you fish for them?

Perch aren't real picky so you can use your imagination alittle. I fish for them different than most, but catch a ton of them so I guess I'm doing ok.
First of all I look for areas that they seem to prefer ... long sandy/muddy points that have immediate access to deep water (river channel/creek channel is a plus) ... and the depth that they frequent (at current water temp. I like 14-16 feet deep if under heavy cloud cover - usually around 18-26 feet if very sunny and fairly clear water)
I rig my line as follows - 1oz. weight on lines end - then use palamar knot to put 3-4 hooks (crappie style hooks or 1 ought aberdeen is good) on my line starting about a foot above the weight and spacing them 10 inches or so apart. For bait - I like to start with nightcrawlers, which I'll cut into 3 pieces and "tube" the short pieces onto the hook - leaving nothing wiggling or hanging off of the hook. When fish are marked (in a fairly good concentration) drop the bait to them (straight down - no need to cast) when weight hits bottom keep your line tight. If it's perch you're marking - you'll know it in a second. Then I use the first small one I catch as bait by filleting it and cutting it into small strips an inch or so long and running the hook thru the end of the strip. Thier hide is so tough you'll catch several on one bait.
I only cut up nine perch last Saturday to put around 300 perch in the boat. .. oh - and by the way, make sure if you're running more than two hooks to use 10-12 pound test or they'll be breaking your line. Catching these are more addictive than good drugs ... for any further help mail me at jpmadren@netmcr,com ... I'll help you any way that I can.

Hey "FISHDOC" - I hit the same areas Saturday and rode around alittle looking for new spots and found several in that same general area. Caught a little over a hundred by lunch and had 7 over 12". Not as good of a day as last week, but still a good one.
... already looking forward to next Saturday.
I'll probably be on first shift another few weeks. the change over is going alittle slower than firt planned.

HEY D.R.Y.#2!!THATS STILL A GOOD DAY! WE STILL CATCHING THE WALLEYE AT PHILPOTT AND HAD ANOTHER GREAT DAY ON LARGEMOUTH AT RCL,CAUGHT A 8 LBER,2 7 LBERS.,A 6 AND A 5 WED. GOT 13 WALLEYE YESTERDAY,LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU GET ON 2ND.