Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
drift fishing

I am new to catfishing and i hear alot about driftfishing.How do you rig for and fish this type of rig without hanging up and losing your bait?Do you you put out your bait and let the boat drag it across the bottom or just off the bottom?Thanks all for your help

Re: drift fishing

YOU HAVE MAIL

what kind of boat do you have..??

I HAVE AN 18 FT FISH AND SKI I USED WHEN FISHED THE BASS TOUR. WITH A 150 ON IT

JUST WANTED TO SAY THERE ARE ALOT OF NICE AND HELPFUL PEOPLE ON HERE AND TO SAY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

to drift you need 2 drift socks 1 in the front and the other in the rear of the boat this helps keep the boat drifting in a straight line if you have a trolling motor it will help out keeping the lines from becoming trangled< nothing like reeling in a mess of knoted lines>
anyway for gear...do not use light tackle!!!

pole. shakespeare 7'mh catfish pole
reel. a good baitcaster,or openface
line. berkley big game 25-30 test
weight. 1oz walking sinker
swivel. 1/0 get the good ones ball bearing type
leader. 50lbs+ 18"+
hook. 6/0 kahle if you go any smaller you can end up with a straightened piece of metal and no fish.
now you can use a circle,octipus hook, but with this type of hook have not lost as many big one as the others..live and learn..!!!
float. split foam float walmart
you put it together like a carolina rig but with a float to keep the bait off the bottom about 8" from the hook.
bait. cut bait...bream,crappie,small whole bait fish works great also..
yes every once and awhile you will snag and lose a set up,but thats fishing.!!!
let out about 20yards+ of line. you will learn the fine tuning yourself..
useing this set up just this year alone haved cpr a heard of 10+, 8 20+ ,2 40+ ,1 49 , and a 68 a all time best ...all blues. not all these where dirfting.
may the wind be with you
thank you capt.catfish

by the way with that 18' and 150hp all you need is wings and a tail and you have a seaplane..lol

WELL WE WENT SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND FISHED TILL ABOUT 11.00 CAUGHT SOME NICE SHAD WENT TO ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES FOR BLUES THIS TIME OF YEAR AND BAMB RIGHT OFF THE BAT LESS THAN A 1/2 HOUR JAY HAD HIM A NICE BLUE CAT WHICH I HOPE HE POST ON THE CATCH OF THE DAY. MY ELECTRIC SCALE DECIDED TO NOT WORK SO NO REAL WEIGHT BUT IT WAS 15 LBS +. WE HAD A NICE TIME AND HE WAS A REAL NICE PERSON TO FISH WITH. HE SURE WAS SMILING WHEN THAT CAT CAME INTO THE BOAT! HE HAD NEVER CAUGHT ONE NEAR THAT SIZE BEFORE SO I'M HAPPY FOR HIM. IT MAY NOT BE A MONSTER BUT ITS A REAL NICE START FOR HIM FOR CATFISHING. WE CAUGHT SEVERAL MORE AND LOST A FEW ALSO THEY ARE FEEDING ON THOSE MUSSLES/CLAMS LIKE THEY DO THIS TIME OF YEAR SO FIND SOME GOOD HARD BOTTOM AND HAVE AT IT.
OL BY THE WAY HE CAN SURE THROW A CAST NET HIS ONLY PROBLEM IS HE DON'T THROW IT WHERE THE SHAD ARE

WELL I WOULD LIKE TO THANKS JRS FOR A SUPER TRIP.I REALLY ENJOYED IT.I ASKED A LOT OF QUESIONS AND HE ANSWERED THEM ALL.IF YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT GOING WITH THE CATFISH NEED TO LISTEN TO HIM.I WAS EXPECTING THINGS TO BE A LIITLE SLOW, BUT WE STARTED WITH A BANG.JRS HELPED ME ALOT AND NOW I NEED TO APPLY WHAT HE TAUGHT ME AND FIND THEM OLD BLUES.AND ABOUT THE CASTING NET THING.HE ONLY ASKED IF I COULD THROW ONE.DIDNT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CATCHING SHAD IN IT. TIGHT LINES ALL THANKS AGIN JRS.HOPE WE CAN DO IT AGAIN IN THE NEAR FUTURE