Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jigging for Shad

Anyone have any experience using very small (Sabiki jiggs)to catch shad?
Thanks Fred

Re: Jigging for Shad

I'm actually planning to try this for the first time at Kerr this week. I've been using sabiki's in the saltwater sounds around Beaufort, NC and the shad have been tearing them up. I'm gonna try to find some schooled shad on the lake and jig away. Goodluck, John

i use them all the time. mostly in the roanoke river and catch alot of shad. in the lake i just throw my cast net to get em. i know they work great in saltwater i use to catch a million threadfins off the pier.

Thanks for the response. They do work great in saltwater. I figured that they would work im the lake. Often I see what look like big shad schools while I am fishing for cats and stripers. When you give them a try in the lake, let me know how you do!
Thanks, Fred

will do.

I've tried those things, the only shad that got hooked were the ones that bumped into it(foul hooked)but the small 3-6" perch like them. I've used them at night with a light. good luck

you are whole lot better off to use a cast net.land locked shad don't act the same as salt water.it would be long and hard to catch shad that way.

yeah honestly it is better to use a cast net, in the lake, but in saltwater and in the roanoke river, that sabaki rig is the way to go