Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OT-Need all sportsman's help

Kind of off topic but I wanted to get the word out about the closing of Cape Point in Hatteras. The NPS has decided that the rights of 3 Piping Plover chicks are more important than OUR rights to free and open access to OUR National Parks. There is alot more information and some sample letters that have been sent to elected officials on some beach fishing boards (Red Drum Tackle being the most informative). This is not about the birds... the most successful year they had was 10 fledging chicks--last year they had 0. This is about the systematic closure by the NPS of more and more beach area every year.
Although most on this board may not frequent the Outer Banks I think it is important for all sportsmen to unite and stand up for their rights... you never know when something like this might happen in your backyard. Please call, write, email about your concerns.

Rich

Re: OT-Need all sportsman's help

i love, surf fishing cape hatteras, and totally agree with you. we have to stand up for ourselfs.
before its too late.

good luck

Its only temporary. And its only at night.

well thats good to hear.

No... it's been 24hrs a day since the 14th. It is temporary.. they estimate no more than 30 DAYS, unless another nest or feeding chicks are found, then it will remain closed until they fledge or succumb to predators. The problem is there was once 71 miles of beach accessible on HI, now there is about 3. These are threatened, not endangered birds, that most biologist agree are not native to Hatteras island (outside there normal habitat range). Currently (this weekend) there are eight rangers/officers assigned to the monitoring of these birds or guarding the barriers. Not even figuring the cost of the dozens of other closures/killing of predators, etc etc. Can you imagine what the cost to the tax payer is just in officer salaries? This is an outrage and I'll ask you all again to help out by writing your reps to let them know how you feel about losing your rights to your (public) land.

Rich

Get the government involved in something and surely it will be screwed up in the end.Just look at it's history.Just my take on it.

well im gonna check into it some more, i love
shark fising at night in the surf.

good luck

It's almost like a man or woman buying their fishing license and than the government telling the men and women that this boat is only open til 11pm.Kinda like using taxpayer dollars and building a boat ramp and telling the fishermen that they can only use it 1 hour before sunrise or 1 hour after sunset.

i sure dont like it thats for sure

Just got back from hatteras today, the locals there are very upset about nps closing the beaches to the surf fisherman, the guy that owns the red drum told us he refuses to sell anything to the park rangers, he told them to go to nags head to buy there gas, milk and bread. It's killing all the tackle shops business.We caught a few mullet,shark and sheepshead. Hopefully the beach will be back open in Oct. for the surf fishing tournament.

well they opened it back up, thank goodness
i love shark fishing at night in the surf, its a blast.