Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gar?

Hello guys heading down wednesday, know you boys got hammered with the rain, normal we like to go up to the clarksville bridge in the hottest part of the day and fishing for gulping gar, to kill the time between the good fishing, but I figure the waters probale all muddy up there, any body know another good spot maybe a little futher down stream to finds some gulpers? thanks Catfisherx

Re: gar?

Try down Oconnechee State Park in the cove.Was down a while back and there were gar 5 feet long swimming around.Seen about 15 to 20.

i know in gaston theve been hanging around the creek bridges. i caught 2 in my cast net. what a headache. i like to mess with them on lite tackle just for fun,

We caught a gar about 4 foot long while catfishing sat. next to Occ. state park

Thanks, guys I didn,t know how muddy it was gunna be, looks like they first 5 days of my vaction will be thunderstorms followed by heavy thunderstorms with a chance of rain! oh well what you gonna do, I guess will watch fishing dvd's in the camper!

Thanks, guys I didn,t know how muddy it was gunna be, looks like the first 5 days of my vaction will be thunderstorms followed by heavy thunderstorms with a chance of rain! oh well what you gonna do, I guess will watch fishing dvd's in the camper!

I found them at Occoneechee all the way down to the mouth of Grassy Creek. They may be fun to reel in, caught three last week, but they can't be good in the long term for our game fish.
Recent atricle in the Richmond Times states there has been no study of the effects of these fish, but that Kerr has such a concentration of bait fish that the gar shouldn't pose a threat.
Well the three I caught, each 4' long or greater, were at the big shad buffet and nothing that I am aware of eats gar.

I don't know what eats them...but the bowfishermen kill a bunch every year....Me and my son kill over a hundred citations out of there in 1995....one of them was the largest one taken that year in the state of Va....21 pounds 10 oz....and he was only 52 and 3/4 inches long.....so a 4 footer is not that common even though everyone always says they see them 4 and 5 foot long....the Va state record is 25 pounds 2 oz

a sure thing for gar would be around the dogleg at the mouth of Island Creek (look on your map you'll see it on the right as you're coming out into the main channel). They're running the white perch off the hump there - you'll see them sloshing around the surface - and you can easily get them to bite a redfin or rebel pulled in short jerks. ... also about 1/3 mile up in Island creek on the right there's a deep cove just to the right of the first small island. .. as for eating them - the hide is so tough that you have to fillet them with a sharp hatchet, but when ground up and made into patties - I can't tell the difference between them and Salmon. Identical taste.

i know bream is diffently the best bait there is for em. i love to catch them in the meherrin river on a slip bobber rig on a small spiining pole. its a blast. and as far as lures the blue and chrome rattle traps work great for them too.

good luck