Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yellow perch?

I heard yellow perch where excellent table fare, Anyone know where i can catch some and what they may be hitting this time of year , thanks,
Mike

Re: Yellow perch?

They are certainly good eating fish. Most caught out of Buggs are caught in the spring around rip-rap and rocky bottoms. I think they are mostly a cold water fish and highly stressed and isolated in the cool well-oxygenated deepwater during most of the year. Lake Michie used to have a good population and the holding pond for the Durham city water supply is full of them. You just can't fish the holding pond anymore due to threats of contamination.
A good alternative would be the white perch that are easily caught in Buggs. In fact they are almost a nuisance when you are trying to fish something else. They are excellent eating and easily caught on lures and bait in the open water during the day and around the creek bridges at night.

City Lake in Roxboro is slam full of them. Red worms fished under a cork along the edges/ shady spots works real good. It also has a good population of hand-sized bream and crappie (upper and lower lakes).

FIRST COUSIN TO THE WALLEYE!! GREAT EATIN!! BEEN CATCHING SOME BIGGUNS AT REIDSVILLE CITY LAKE LAST COUPLE YEARS FISHIN FOR CRAPPIE!!!LOL!!!

Yellow Perch are the small cousin of the Walleye and excellent table fair. Much better than White Perch which are not in the same family.
Many of the smaller ponds and lakes in northern North Carolina and throughout most of Virginia have a few perch in them. Worms, grubs, and small minnows will work most of the time fished around vegetation and gravel bottom areas.
As a kid, we had the best luck for perch in the hottest part of the summer fished in 6-10 feet of water around weed beds and mossy areas. The city lakes here in Guilford County are full of them albeit small.

Isn't it kind of interesting that most of us have caught them in city water supplies? I've read that during the hottest part of summer they are isolated to very small regions of the lake and if you find one you've found a huge school. Also read that the heat stressed stripers feed heavily on them too because they are often in the same cool, well-oxygenated waters to escape the summer heat.

One of the best shore lunches I ever had. Ran into a school of yellow perch that were all over a pound. Passers by though we were cooking up walleye!
Y. Perch generally like sand or gravel bottom with vegitation. The red end of nightcrawlers will work good.

Speaking of walleye cousins, are there saugers in any of the lakes around here? I caught a few while crappie fishing in TN long time ago. Maybe it was because my granny cooked them, but I thought they were better than crappie.

Speaking of walleye cousins, are there saugers in any of the lakes around here? I caught a few while crappie fishing in TN long time ago. Maybe it was because my granny cooked them, but I thought they were better than crappie.

Ray, where have you caught them in city lake, Also are there any size to them. have you had more luck fishing on the rd side, or the old pump station side. Email me.
Thanks,
Mike

YELLOW PERCH ARE ABUNDNT IN THE WINTER MONTHS IN THE STAUNTON. FISH BELOW RAPIDS WITH CORKS AND MEDIUM MINNOWS HOOKED THROUGH THE LIP AND NOSTRIL. ONCE YOU FIND ONE THERE ARE USUALLY PLENTY OF OTHERS.

you got mail

RAY, FISHED THIS AREA 40 YRS, NEVER CAUGHT OR HEARD OF ANYONE ELSE CATCHING A SAUGER. CAUGHT SOME IN ALA. YRS BACK THEY ARE GOOD AS CRAPPIE AND I COOKED THEM MYSELF!!!