Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
drifting ?

i was out fri night on kerr, down around henderson point, no luck. i was hoping someone would give a little drifting advice. the water was 65 ft. so i couldnt anchor down, so we just dropped some rods straight down, and others we casted out and let drag along behind the boat, the question is what is the proper way to drift fish???

Re: drifting ?

Keith...I am not expert by any means...just think about my handle. I would try different depths in 5-foot increments. Depending time of day or night, deep water during the day after 10 am. And shallow water at night. I like nighttime better for several reasons, less heat, less boat traffic; usually the bite is better for me anyway. I troll around 1/2 MPH most of the time rather than just drift, especially at night to keep in the shallow water that is 8-15 feet of water, usually staying 1-2 feet off the bottom. Being extremely quite and at night,use light only when absolutely necessary....the darker the better……my 1-½ cents worth. Use shad for bait...

i ain't been on a boat in 2 or 3 years.but we use to corks and plainer bords set at different depths.maybe even put one shad on just a hook no weight and let him make his own mistakes.a lot of times he can find a fish before you can[or they find him].lol hope that helps a lil.

when i was out fri. i had a distinct line on my fish finder any where from 15 to 20 ft. my guess would be that this is a thermo-cline. i marked alot of fish above the line and very few below the line , i have always bottom fished but not having any luck this year do yall think that cats use this thermo-cline or are they still on the bottom? thanks for the help im trying to expand my fishing technique some maybe it'llchange my luck..

Keith I have always bottoom fished also and just starting to try this drifting. I messed up trying to fish on the bottom Friday night. I starting getting hits around 6-10' in 30' of water. But I didnt try shallow until morning when it was time to go.

i think ill buy some corks and try it that way. thanks for the replies guys.

Keith from what I have read 15-20 feet is a little shallow for the thermocline at Buggs.

Scott Van Horn, a biologist with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission who for years oversaw reservoir fisheries in the Piedmont, said that the division of waters (thermocline) is a seasonal phenomena common to most lakes and ponds.

" Van Horn stated in an article. "At Buggs Island, the thermocline is between 35 and 45 feet.

I tried to find a link to that article but could not find it.

I think Keith is right. I saw it on my fish finder also.

I have noticed that the farther you travel down a lake, the deeper the thermocline,At least I have seen it on SML.