This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blue Catfish Stew

Blue Catfish Stew:

All this talk about eating fine delicious catfish has made me hungry. So for the enjoyment of the fishing community at large, I have posted this favorite recipe of mine. Only Blue Catfish should be used due to heath reasons. I have researched and noticed that Blue Catfish are the least PCB laden fish in Kerr/Buggs Island lake according to the following link that Katnip kindly provided:http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/HHControl/RoanokeRiver.asp It reads that there are no consumption advisories on delicious Blue Catfish taken from the confluence (the split, mouth of rivers ect) into the rest of the lake. . I have found that by using this special stew any size catfish is simply delicious. The following recipe was made to be used with the fillets of a 20lb Blue Catfish. Double the recipe if you catch a 40lb Blue Catfish ect.

Also, since Blue Catfishes are not a protected game fish, there is no limit set by our Government to how many one person may take in one day, or during his lifetime. Please don’t be wasteful or greedy and not share, if you have taken more Blue Catfish than you can eat at one time. You can do as I do and donate what my family can not consume to a local Church’s soup kitchen. Or you can freeze it and enjoy it later.

The meat: 1 20lb Blue Catfish skinned and filleted

The Sauce: 4 28oz cans of peeled salted tomatoes
5 red peppers, chopped
5 green peppers, chopped
2 1lb bags of cut okra
8 onions, chopped
15-20 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
½ Cup of Oil

Seasoning:
1/3 cup table salt
1/4 cup granulated or powdered garlic
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1/3 cup paprika
3 tablespoons granulated or powdered onion

Directions: Cut the Blue Catfish fillets into small cubes and set aside. Add the oil to a very large soup pot and brown the garlic lightly. Do not burn. Add the onions, red and green peppers and cook for five minutes over medium heat stirring frequently. Open the tomatoes and add the juice. Crush the tomatoes in your hand, making sure the juice goes in the post, then add the tomato(s) to the pot. Add the okra Add the seasoning and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the catfish and bring to a boil for 5 to ten minutes. Let cool and serve.

Re: Blue Catfish Stew

Thanks for the recipe however it will taste better with four 5lb fish Throw back the bigguns I bet that recipe will stir this board up

there is a limit on catfish.it is 20 or 25 per day per type.

yep the limit is 20-25.

In Virginia waters there is no limit. Don't know the regs on NC. Next year Virginia may impose a "trophy" limit of 2 fish over a certain size. They may have a limit on total number too. It was thought that this was going to be in effect this year but didn't get on the books.

Buggs may have a separate rule b/c it flows over two states? But I haven't seen anything in the Virginia regs booklet.

my bad, I had an old book....went online and found where it says 20 catfish(blues, channels and flats) per day below the fall line. Does anyone see where it says anything about other bodies of water in Virginia?

Was wondering what the fall line is/located?????????

tap...tap...tap....tap....whooooooosh!!!

reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........POP!!!!!!!!!!

Awe, sorry....your line broke...

maybe next time....

Keep Fishing!

tap
tap
tap
tap
tap
tap
tap

tap...tap....tap....tap....

There it is again....check that rod!

Tap...tap...tap....

Whoooosh!

Hey...you got one.....reel it in....

I have a name for your stew as the recipe exactly reads:

"Dink Stew"

If you double the recipe its called....

"Two Dink Stew"

OK...CPR that one....

Your thread is still in the water, although with not so fresh bait now....

But you never know what's lurking....

LOL!!!

tap
tap
tap

@ katnip hehehe

tap,tap,tap, uh oh

Just got clarification from a DGIF agent. 20 catfish per day everwhere except below the fall line where there is no limits. So this means that all of the Tidal Waters east of Richmond have no limits. I don't understand why they separate it but they do.