Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Clarksville Bridge

I noticed that most of the No Wake Boey's on each side of the bridge are gone. However they still have about 6 on each side. I was told the DGIF would not enforce this any longer.Or can they!!!! Comments

Re: New Clarksville Bridge

I dont know if they are enforceing it but today they was still on the lifts under the bridge working so EVERYONE needs to go slow thru there until the workers are bone. They can still get shook up pretty good. JUST A THOUGHT!!!STEVE

sorry done not bone

I saw a game warden go through wide open, but I also saw him tell someone that their wake was too big when coming out of the Occaneechee ramp cove. Wait, it was 2 different wardens.

So the VA boaters handbook says a no-wake bouy is an example of a "Controlled" indication. Controlled, which has a circle indicates a controlled area such as speed limit, no fishing or anchoring, ski only or no skiing, or slow no wake. There is no reference to how far around the bouy its reach extends.

Then in the operations section it says, "Failing to obey any regulatory marker. For example, it is illegal to boat in restricted areas, such as swimming areas, that have been marked by buoys or in some other way." but again it does not say a distance from the marker.

There is a "50ft from" section that says, "Operating any boat at greater than no wake or idle speed when within 50 feet of: Docks, piers, boathouses or boat ramps, Persons in the water..." but that part is not about bouys.

The NC pages seem similar..no distances specified.

SO: I cannot see myself being able to ignore one no-wake bouy and respect another. I think I'd have a hard time defending "to the judge" that the bouys around the bridge are just around a little part of it so for me...I'm gonna keep slowing down until the bouys come down. Does anybody know where there's a rule about how far from a bouy the no-wake extends? Or, does anybody know the real status of when the remaining bouys will come down? jfo

Joe....It has been explained to me that when entering a no wake zone,one should slow down before reaching the zone itself.If your wake enters the zone,even though your boat is slowed,you are liable.

That's the way I see it as well. In the books it says minimimum speed that allows control and headway. Without a distance indicated then even one bouy in the middle of the bridge would shut the whole thing into the zone...The post above that said the enforcement guy blasted the zone surprized me...jfo

I was there a couple days and i couldn't believe how many boats went under the new bridge wide open.What are these people thinking of?If your boat is moving,even at a slowest speed,it is going to create some sort of "Wake".As long as one looks to be slowed as much as possible and the "man" is watching,than i would think he wouldn't bother you.I would think the distance from the buoy is and should be judged from the boat owner.Afterall,different size boats create differnet size "Wakes".

talked to game warden when he checked me at grassy creek. He said that it is fine to go through at normal speed now that they just have not removed the buoys yet.