Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Docks

I know your docks must be floating docks, but are there any other laws I need to know about? What do you recommend?

Re: Docks

There is a book available from the corp called the "Appendix VI of the Operational Management Plan" that has all the rules in it. There are tons, and tons, and tons of rules regarding docks. When you get your dock permit the shoreline ranger will go thru them. If you have an existing permit I do believe that they still need to see your proposed plan and approve it if its different from what is already there. Some examples of rules from there are:
- must be at least 100 shoreline ft from another dock
- must not go more than 1/3 into a cove at 300
- 2story, walls, sun decks not permitted
- maximum size is 750 sq ft inclusive of boat slip
- walkway must be 36 to 72
- one storage box: 72 cu ft max 4x3x6 max
- storage box must be bolted
- lots of specs on flotation material
- lots of electrical specs....

and so on...book is 60 or so pages and a good bit is about docks....jfo

There is already a dock permit but I didn't see an existing dock.

So the first bullet on facility construction says that all new docks must be approved by the resource manager and in accordance to all the rules mentioned above...I am for 110% sure NOT an authority on this. The main number is 434 738 6143 US Army COE. They're very nice folks and'll help you out...jfo

http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/jhkerr/shdocks.htm

Copy and paste this link. It from th Army Corps of Engineers re: docks.

call the # that joe gave you and ask for mike dodd he is the head ranger.

Keep in mine the amount of slope you have in the water in thinking of the number of walk ways you may need. I monitor docks for people and this can be a BIG advange when moving the dock around as the water drops. The book is a great source of information.

Lakeside Hands - what areas of the lake do you monitor? Several of my neighbors are only part time, and have been looking for a service to watch their docks. I used to help them out, but my back can't take it any more! If you work the Satterwhite Point area, please email me details. Thanks.

Mark i do not have your email address mine is lakesidehands@aol.com I would be glad to take a look at there docks