Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Repairing Castnets: Question

Went camping last week and repaired nine (9) castnets torn up thru the winter. Some were easy repairs (just restitching), one was an automatic discard (basically the entire leadline was ripped off), and two required stitched in patches cut from a different net. I have one more net here that I've repaired the mesh on but that has four busted braille lines. The braille line is the heavy mono (say 70-90 lb mono) that runs from the handline thru the horn and down to the weighted lead-line. If you tie a knot in the braille line it'll snag the net all the time. Up at the horn, there's a metal crimp that all the braille lines go thru so if I could find a source of replacement crimps I could run a new braille lines with heavy mono all the way from one side of the net up to the handline and back down but I dunno where to find a crip like that that would not snag as it went thru the horn....anybody out there an expert on repairing braille lines? thx,,,,jfo

Re: Repairing Castnets: Question

I'm not a expert on this issue at all. I think I have something that may work. If you can find the things they crimp safety wire together with it may work. They should have these in a auto parts store. They don't look or work much different than what you are talking about. Hope this works.

thanks tracker...your idea gave me a lead that lead to a lead that led to the answer. Leadertec makes crimping sleves for large monofolament joints. With this, I shouldn't even have to replace the braille line, it appears I can repair them instead...jfo

Joe,
I never could throw one of them dang things and the few times I tried I lost a couple of them to the Lake Gods..Hope all is well and your staying abroad for the summer, two questions, have your moved yet and can i go when you get the cat for the tank ?
MikeR

Joe......you can order crimps and crimpers from BPS Offshore Angler catalog.

JFO. Tore my net up a few months back. Spent about a week mending the net. Did a good job repairing it(I thought) Net never would open right again. Layed it out on the deck, looked ok. Found that the rapair pulled up one side and the "short side" would distort the net when I threw it. NEW net works great.

If you can have the short spot in your leading hand that helps sometimes. Anyway, its still a great backup net or a first net when the bait is really shallow....today there was good bait against the RR pilings. Lots of junkbait too but good ones mixed in...jfo