Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
STRIPERS

Are you guys still seeing dead stripers the past week ...... and do you think the vast majority of them have made it back down in the main lake from the spawning run ?

Re: STRIPERS

I saw at least a dozen dead stripers today. I don't recall seeing that many the last couple of years. Spawning stress or something more????????

I think with the warm weather the fish will be in a summer pattern very soon. I marked several pods of fish downlake today but only managed a throwback. I hope you have better luck with them than I did.

i saw 4 dead at northbend today.

I think it's spawning stress. Caught a 30 incher last nite and she died before I could even release her. I didn't play her out either. 20 lb test and I brought it straight in.
Could tell it had just spawned recently.

i have seen a few over the last week.my buddy and i were wondering the same thing.we didnt know if the parisite may have something to do with it.has anyone talked with a game warden about it.

Someone mentioned to me that fishes on the lake a lot of a sewer spill from upstream may have resulted in the fish kill. He told me that the authorities are investigating the findings. Stripers and sewer do not mix. If so, I am sure that will come out.

The spawn can stress a fish out, as well as these rapid whether changes, we are having. I caught a 12lber on Smith mt lake memeriol weekend, up in the upper roanoke river channel, that had just spawned (female) She was a dead fight, and died during the release, had to keep her... This was a good example of how weak these females can get after the spawn. The smaller fish i caught were readly able to be turned lose and fought well (males). I decided to quit fishing in this section to let the fish recope and not have to acidenitly kill another large female.. Are any of you looking in the dead stripers mouth for parasites?

Travis
CatsNstripers

hey guys i got email back from wildlife commission and they said it was from stress but also talk to game warden and he saw a few with the maggot in the mouth they are still investigating the kill