Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
drifting

I've heard there catching striper around the mouth of Grassy I've been from the bridges to goat island without any luck I usally drift with 4 rods loaded up with a 3 ounce weight and about 2-3 ft leader fishing from 18 to 30 ft deep in about 40+ ft of water.am I doing something wrong? HELP!

Re: drifting

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

I'm still not a very good fisherman, but as JRS said and I agree 100% the slip cork is a great tool. Now I only catfish, but I have caught more on a slip cork 30-50 ft away from the boat. I really like the large Florescent ones I purchasd at Bobcats. I would put out a couple and experiment with the depth.
Good Luck.................

yeah thanks guys for the info,wife just said she wants me to ride with her to walmart do you wanna go she says?? SURE! you can find me in the fishing section!

I have had pretty good succes fishing slip bobbers with large sginers or shad anchored letting the bobbers float into wind swept rocky points. Usually much shallower tho. 10-15 foot range. Evenings and mornings mostly.