Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
catfish help?

O.k., I've been asking around and haven't heard of much being caught out of the lake, just mainly in the rivers. If anyone's got any info that they're willing to share, shoot me a email, or post back. I'm still planning on going Fri afternoon, I'm going to put in at bluestone, How far is the main lake channel from the ramp there? I've looked on the map, just unsure how far it is. Would that area be a good place to start?
Thanks for any help,
Mike

Re: catfish help?

Well I was looking at the map, And just wondering if Buffalo would be better to put in at than bluestone, for Cats.
Thanks,
Mike

Buffalo would be closer to put in at from where you live, but my understanding is the ramp close's fairly early. (10 or 11pm?) Bluestone and OKE are 24 hours.

Willy

Check your email!!!

well Im heading to the lake at bout 2:30, I'll post how we do, hopefully we'll be hangin some HAWGS.
Tight Lines
Mike

caught 25 blues on 6-4-05. One weighed in at 50# and the next biggest was 15#. Check out Bobcats for picture. E-mail me for more info. Z71_CARTER@hotmail.com

Congratulations JCarter on the nice catch!!!!!!!!!

Sent you an email.

Congrats on the 50 lber!!! That is an impressive Blue from Buggs.

Just curious, was the fish released?

Tight lines!

Thank yall. The fish was not released. Will post a pic on catch of the day as soon as possible. Yall see a 21foot fishin barge pontoon w/ about 12 rod holders on one side feel free to stop by.

I think it sux that fish was killed. The difference between a 30 something Blue in Buggs and a 50 something Blue is like a scratch off lottery ticket for $5 and one for $50,000. It just DOES NOT happen often! I know this for a fact because I have fished well over a dozen catfish tournaments on the lake with a cumulative boat total way over 1000 boats, and only ONE TIME a Blue over 50 lbs. was brought in. Don't get me wrong, I am glad you caught the Blue Catfish of a lifetime out of the lake, I just wish you had been aware of how special that fish was so that some nice photos could have been bragged on instead of a useless carcass--IMHO only. Also, fish that big are the top "breeders" in the lake and obviously have the preferred genetic make-up to produce more offspring that can potentially get over 50 lbs. Finally, fish that size are LOADED with PCBs and Mercury and should not be eaten by anyone. That is fact, not opinion.

I didnt know it would offend any of yall about my 50# catch. Genetics are important but nutrition is what makes a big cat. If yall want to keep catching big cats from buggs quit taking so many little fish. Its like deer hunting you dont shoot the little ones so they will grow up and be something to brag about. So keep on keeping all the 2-10 lbers. and diminish the fish population so much and never give them a chance to show their potential and see what happens. All the offsprings from the big fish will never have time to grow. Do you think a catfish goes from an egg to a 50+ with the snap of a finger. I dont think so! They have to live through their lifespan to get big. Also if the fish have so many toxis in them like yall say, they probably wont live much longer anyway. Yall aint gonna
catch any fish while sitting at home and thinking of things to critisize me about anyway. see yall.

That buck can be a trophy in 4-6 years. Try 4-5 times that amount of time for that 50 lb. blue. Ya gotta compare apples to apples...(not bucks to blues!)
I stand with Nip on this one!

Yall just mad because a begginer has caught a fish that most people fish a lifetime for.

I am pretty much a begginer and katnip said that he has kept some big uns too so yall get off my back. I might decide to throw the big uns back if yall would quit telling me what i SHOULD do. Thanks for the info on how important cpr is with the big uns. good fishin.

MOST BEGINNERS DO KEEP THEIR FIRST BIGGUN. NO SIN THERE. FISHERMEN WHO GET GOOD ENOUGH TO CONSISTENTLY CATCH BIGGUNS LEARN TO RELEASE THEM. OR ELSE THEY HAVE TO KEEP FINDING NEW PLACES TO FISH. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!

You sir are the preverbial blind sqirrel that found a "nut".I doubt this dude is gonna put a dent in the hawg population!

I found a bunch of nuts while visiting this website. (that doesnt mean everyone) Good fishing

I think you pretty much covered it when you said that it would be a catch of a lifetime for most people. The real shame here is nobody else can share in the thrill of catching that particular fish again. The next time you have to decide on weather or not to release a fish, think about your children or grandchildren and the thrill that they might be denied if we all don't do our part and take care of such a fine fishery. thank you for your time

I will do so. I didnt realize that not many that size were caught at buggs. If there ever is a next time i will take your statement into consideration.

Didn't mean to bust on you that hard JC. I just wanted you, and anyone else who might read the thread, to know that 50 lb and above Blues are VERY RARE from the lake. I am just trying to provide information, and whatever people do with it is up to them. I am not trying to tell anyone what to do with their own business, and didn't mean for the post to come off that way. Tight Lines!

Thats ok with me. Anybody going to the lake this weekend? Im going down Sat. afternoon. Anyone know if the fish have started laying on beds? I might try to get into some channels for the supper table. anybody been doing any good this week?