Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Illegal Baitfish???

I heard something crazy at work the other day, a fellow co-worker of mine told me it is no longer legal to use “Brim” as bait. I checked out my NC rules and regulations book and it doesn’t state either way or at least I didn’t see it. In the past I have caught some monster flatties on brim below the bridges on Buggs toward the mouths of the rivers, please someone tell me this is some outlandish story. Also, someone give me a heads-up on what is legal baitfish and what’s not if ya have a chance. Screaming drags to you all!!!

Re: Illegal Baitfish???

It is illegal to use them if caught with a cast net ,catch em on hook and line and your good to go.

Thanks Jofish, that's pretty much what I figured...let me ask another question it's illegal to fish with crappie caught on hook and line correct?

NO, I called vdgif and you can use anything as long as you catch it with hook, no casting net, crappie are awsome for flatheads we use them in staunton river. good luck

Right on......better to have the"little rod"w/ the panfish hook in the boat.Helps your case.Cut crappies are a great sub for gizzards,w/ the blues,too.

Nightrain makes a good point , if you have a cast net in your boat it's a VERY good idea to have a small rod rigged for "bait catchin" otherwise your story has no believabilty, still think shad works the best most all the time

THEM 10" CRAPPIE ARE ALSO GOOD BAIT FOR GIANT LARGEMOUTH. CAUGHT 5 OVER 8 LBS. AT HYCO LAST WINTER. REMEMBER READING THAT ED DAVIS, A FORMER STATE RECORD HOLDER, LIKED POUND TO TWO POUND CRAPPIE FOR BIG FLATHEADS!!

I know people hate for me to reply,but i am anyhow.It isn't illegal to use brim as bait in Virginia as long you catch them in the same body of water that you are fishing.It is illegal to transport any bait fish including minnows without a receipt to show you purchased them and then there's a maximum you can have.I haven't found a store to buy brim at yet.But still can not tranport them.

flathead, if I were you I would read the regulations and keep a copy in the boat and not leave anything to the opportunity of misinterpretation, that way you don't get bad info and you and the game warden are reading off the same page.

Heck I never thought about transporting them, can catch all you need with a couple of worms and a small hook and a split shot,Seems to me I recall something in the regs about transporting them, good idea to pick up a copy of the rules at Wallyworld , I grab one everyear when I get my license. Fishdoc , how do you rig when using them crappie for bass ? Sounds like a blast would like to give it a try...Joe

WHEN USING 10" CRAPPIE, I USE A 3/0 STYLE 84 EAGLE CLAW HOOK IN THE NOSE. THEN RUN A 4-5 INCH STINGER WITH A #4 TREBLE HOOK BEHIND THE DORSAL. NO WEIGHT. I TROLL THESE ON A 10' CONTOUR. LET THEM RUN WIYH IT BOUT 5 SECONDS. SET HOOK HARD, THEY JUMP AND THROW IT A LOT.LOL.

Thanks Guys, I was pretty sure that "Brim" caught on hook and line was legal to fish with. I just picked up a copy of the NC Regulations book and it goes out of date on June 30th. Anyone know of any new bait regulations that take effected in the new regulations book. Just wondering...thanks for all the help, TIGHT LINES AND SCREAMING DRAGS TO YOU ALL!!!!

IF YOU HAVE THE AFFORE MENTIONED "SMALL ROD"RIGGED FOR BREAM ON YOUR BOAT,THEN,THERE SHOULD BE NO CONVERSATION ABOUT TRANSPORTING ANYTHING OR HOW IT WAS OBTAINED.

yeah there leggal as long as there caught on a rod and reel in the same body of water youre fishing in.

good luck

Know the laws before you hit the water.Sit on the throne and study it.But for some,the laws were written for someone else.You know who you are.