Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dead stripers

Wonder whats up with strper floating in nutbush creek. Have seen a lot dead striper in the past two weeks.

Re: dead stripers

I heard about that...not sure copepods? I dunno

me and my wife was up there last weekend and saw several dead ones floating all so would like to know whats going on with them hate to see that cause we enjoy stripper fishing if anyone finds out please let us know thanks

Theres alot floating around the railroad trussel and back towards the rivers also,can't understand what's going on either.

I have observed seven dead stripers the last two days between No# 2 bouy & the gator hole. All were about 22- 23 inches long. I doubt if most people would have thrown them back. Only one of the seven appeared to be about 17 inches in length. Something appears to be going on for this time of the year, it is not a usual happening. I have observed a few others earlier in the week in the same general area. With the water temp around 69 +, & plenty of bait in the area it makes one wonder what may have happened. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary with any other type fish floating in the area. Makes one wonder about if it has something to do with the gill maggots?

Need to get one checked for diseases that might be killing them,69 degree water or gill maggots aint it,is there someone on the lake shooting off caps and killing them?that will be happening at night and will be when someone uses a light to draw bait the stripers follow bait and when the cap is dropped to stun bait it works on stripers if they are close?They may be spawned out just got weak and died?Or poachers dumping them to keep from being caught....you guys need to look and listen on lake at night.

i sent an email to wildlife commision hopefully they may know whats going on or will check into it please guys keep us posted hate to see them get wiped out

Saw several dead around Kimble Point Saturday night. Game wardens were out there too. Surely had to notice the floaters. Most were in the 20-24 inch range. I actually checked one and found no gill maggots although I don't know if they stay if the fish is dead. Saw nothing out of the ordinary other than dead.
Caught a few and they all seemed real healthy. Hope someone finds out what would cause this.

guys this is something that we sould have looked in to. i just came on to post on the dead stripers floating.and seen this post.i have been seeing lots of stripers floating around the mouth of bulestone up.i seen maybe 10 this weekend.i just was thinking that the spawn had got the best of them.but if reports of them at other end of lake to is just weird.10 is not alot i dont guess

There were a lot of dead stripers around the dam and Nutbush yesterday. Have not seen anything like this in 15 years of fishing on the lake. Something is up.

what could be happening i wonder cause iv saw 4 floting around henderson point

I may be wrong but. It seems that every year I have seen Stripers floating down around Satter white point. One of the old timers told me in years past that the stripers were give out from the spawn and by the time they get back into the main lake and creeks it does not take a lot to wear them out and when people wound hang the fish and they would get off and the fish was gave it all fighting and did not survive. Also, it seems that every year that you see some fish floating like this it turns out to be a real good summer bite.

Keith knows his stripers, if he says don't panic, don't panic (unless there's an EPT involved). I saw 2 casualties, one in little nutbush and one straight across from Hibernia and I marked a lot of fish scattered between H and the railroad track. It was nasty but I checked out both of the dead ones. No hooks in their throats, and upon taking a real close look I discovered that they were both definitely very dead. Yep, no doubt about it. Same as the ones I saw last year about this same time.

HAVE TO AGREE WITH KEITH. SEE THIS MOST EVERY YEAR.