Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
crappie pond

Hey guys just a quick question, I fish this pond near home and it is just loaded with crappie,they all are between 7 and 10 inches long. I notice everytime we clean them there is nothing in there bellies.We never catch any any smaller.should we start keeping more for the sake of allowing the fish to get bigger in size and will that help in doing so. thanks for any info.GOD BLESS and Good fishing

Re: crappie pond

As long as you are still catching plenty, is doesn't hurt to take some more out. It sounds like they are quite overcrowded.

HEY CLICKER. AS SOON AS YOU TAKE DOWN THAT NO RIVER RAT FISHING SIGN I'LL PULL SOME BIGGER ONES OUT FOR YOU. YA'LL HAVE GOOD LUCK IN THE MORNING AND WE'LL SWAP STORIES TOMMORROW NIGHT. GOOD FISHING AND GOD BLESS!!!

how big is the pond and do you catch anything else.reason asking is the size of the pond can make a differents and also the type of fish that is in it.from what you have said there is no food supply in the pond i`m guessing that the fish are flat as paper and not very wide.if this is the case you need to take out as many fish as you can and add a 1 ton of bait.then give it time.

The pond is about 3/4 of acre and we catch some bass and very few blue gill,but yes the fish are flat and many still have eggs also as of saturday. what kind of bait should I put in the pond? thanks dave ...OH and River Rat let set a day this week or weekend and go there. call me

BEST BAIT I EVER SEEN IN A POND WAS FATHEAD MINNOWS.MAKES BIG CRAPPIE,BIG BREAM, WHICH MAKES BIG BASS!!

fatheads will work.try a half ton first and see what kind of difference it makes.you should see it in about 2 months.just make sure you use sterile minnows,so they want reproduce.

Thanks guys,these fathead minnows are they the ones like at bait shops,and stores or what?

Dave, why would you want the sterile minnows? Wouldn't you want them to reproduce?

HI TAKE THE CRAPPIE OUT OF THE POND EACH AND EVERYONE YOU CATCH! CRAPPIE WILL AND IT SOUNDS LIKE HAVE TAKEN OVER IN THAT POND. WHAT WILL HAPPEN IS THEY WILL CONTINUE TO SPAWN AND VERY SOON YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING BUT EVEN SMALLER CRAPPIE BUT PLENTY OF THEM. I WOULD PUT A FEW NICE SIZED CATFISH IN THAT POND TO HELP CONTROL THEIR POPULATION. DAVE SAID TO USE STERILE MINNOWS FOR A GOOD REASON, THOSE THAT LIVE WILL BREED AND YOU MAY END UP WITH A POND WITH SMALL CRAPPIE AND LARGE SHAD BIGGER THAN YOUR HAND BY THE 100'S NOT WHAT YOU WANT.

if you don`t use sterile minnows then you will have a pond full of minnows.minnows will reproduce every month.also as jr said take out some crappie.try saining the pond and put the bigguns back.you can get the minnows from the minnow man,as for putting cats in they can help and also hurt so thats up to you.

CLICKER SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT SOME GOOD ADVICE. MAYBE SATURDAY MORNING WE CAN HIT IT OR GO AFTER SOME SMALLIES IN THE RIVER SINCE THE STRIPER RUN IS OVER AND THE RIVER IS BACK DOWN I BET THE SMALLMOUTH BITE IS ON.

Hey River Rat, Looks like things are going to be too muddy to work on seeding and straw,but Saturday morning may be on. Planning on going to the breakfast, but what is the latest you can go Sat.morn I got another good pond I have not told you about in Renan,and yes it is possible for us to get that citation at that pond.If possible call me Fri. evening