Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blue drifting

Blues seem to be boat shy and sensitive to line tension with the clicker. I've had a little luck but I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Friday I picked up a 27# and 5# blue around Buffalo.

Saturday fished up the river and picked up a 14# blue.

Sunday fished the split and got nothing.

Any suggestions?

Good fishing

Re: Blue drifting

I use circle hooks and no clicker, then when the line tightens up he is hooked. Well most times.

I have some circle hooks I'll try. How do you hook the bait(Shad) in the dorsal fin? Do you free spool or just lock the rod in and wait for the bend of the rod?

Thanks and good fishing

Just put the point of hook in shad (gizzard) mouth and go out 1 nostril. Or, I sometimes go thru both nostrils, especially on Alewives. Wait for the rod to load up, then just pick it up and keep constant tension on the fish into the net. No need to set hook!

LET THE ROD TOUCH THE WATER!!!!!!

Try this also, use shad on most poles but get a few bream. Cut the top 1/3 of the tail off on an angle. Use him until he dies. With the top of the tail cut like this he has problems staying upright in the water and has to keep fanning his tail to do so. Sort of like ringing the dinner bell!!!!!

Do any of you fish with eel? I've had good luck with them on the James. Want to try to make it down to Kerr this weekend and I'd like to know if eel will work there.

Never used them.

i use eels in gaston alot and they work great, cut or alive. sometimes cut is better in the lake for some reason.

good luck

KATMASTER JR how much lead do you use. The current in the river makes for alot. Is it needed in the lakes?
Thanks for the come back.

i use 3 ounces mostly but you have to observe the current sometimes you need 6-8 ounces. youll need some of each ranging from 3-8 ounces.

good luck

caught a 50# blue june 4 using whole shad in 23 feet of water. e-mail for more info. z71_carter@hotmail.com

50 lb Blue is awesome!!! Please post a pic on Catch of the Day if you have one. Was it CPR'd?

Tight Lines!

will post a pic. on catch of the day as soon as possible. good luck.