Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First time on lake

Hey guys. I'm heading down your way from PA this Memorial Day weekend to visit family who recently moved onto the lake in the Clarksville area. Bringing down my boat for a 5-6 day weekend. This is my first fishing trip and would appreciate any tips you might be willing to share, such as where to get started, ect. I would be fishing for bass for simplicities sake, but willing to give stripers or cats a try as well. Read the other posts here and got some info, but would welcome any other comments as well. I guess no matter what, fishing will be tough with all the traffic that will likely be on the lake given the holiday weekend but I will possibly have a few days of "peace" after Memorial Day.

Re: First time on lake

anyone?

I've found that while the traffic is heavier on the holidays, you can always find somewhere to get away from everyone. I've been doing pretty well the past two weeks down in Nutbush on the main lake and secondary points with a crankbait and c-rigged super fluke in the mornings and evenings. Been picking up between two and 6 fish per trip between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 lbs. Using both shallow and medium cranks, shad patterns. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

thanks for the reply Mark - I'm just about ready to head out - just a few more hours till everyone is ready - but I've been ready since yesterday .

Get a map and study well. The lake is big and there is plenty of opportunity. Be safe and let us know how you do.

First hing I'm going to pick up is a map, hopefully I can find a Hot Spots map - I think they are great for first timers. I'll let you all know how I made out after I get back. I will likely have many oppurtunities to return all summer long, so this is hopefully the first of many trips.

If you're going to be around Clarksville, I'm sure the bait shop right there at the bridge accross from Oconeechee park has the nice waterproof version with the 'local' names and striper locations throughout the year. It's a good one to have. If you're on the other side near Satterwhite point, I know the Rose's on the corner of Nutbush and Satterwhite road has them.

Thanks mark - I'll be at one of those 2 saturday morning doing some shopping.

Where in PA are you from? I came down from Harrisburg back in '91, and all my family is still up there. Used to fish the Susquehanna and Juniata all the time. Miss the number of fish we used to get there, but I gotta tell you, the size of the ones you can get here make up for numbers. Plus, I think the striper fishing here is more consistent than Raystown. But then again, I fish here a lot more than I used to at Raystown.

I live in Schuylkill county, about 45 minutes north of Harrisburg up I 81. Fishing the river up here can be fun, but like you said, no size to the fish. I am a bit spoiled by doing a bunch of fishing the last few years on Lake Ontario, and if I learned one thing there, its that size does matter. Truth is, I do not care for any of PA's few lakes, and I tend to travel north (and now south) in search of more quality fishing.