Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A STRIPER tried to EAT MY BASS

Just A fishin story you might like . We was catching bass on every throw last sunday on a windy point in nut bush when a big striper about three foot long try to eat my bass right at the boat I neted the bass and the striper bumped the net, kind of reminded me of the Jaws movie. Has any one else sean this happen? THE GAME

Re: A STRIPER tried to EAT MY BASS

Game.....I was fishing a pond,once, known for it's huge bass,with a friend.My bud hooks about a 12" fish on a weightless 10" worm,and begins to reel this little bankrunner in.As he does so,his dink is inhaled by a much larger bass.He gets the hawg to the bank,and,as he goes to lip her,she regurgitates the small bass and worm.....swims off.Being the "opportunist" that I am,I politely,ask my friend if it would be alright to throw to the beaver dam he was fishing,while he retied his stuff.He replied,"GoatHead!"....I thought he said,"Go Ahead!",and proceeded to plop another 10" worm by the beaver hut.......BAM!.Fought a nice 8 lb. fish to the bank......The expression on my bud's face-priceless!

Had a friend fishing at Rudds Creek camp ground just messing around with the little white bass, when he was pulling one in a large mouth inhaled it. Unlucky for him she spit the fish out right before he could get her on the bank. Around 7 to 8 lbs.

I had one striper grab my plug right beside the boat when I set my pole down to net my partner's fish, and I had one grab my plug that was just sitting out there because I had backlashed the reel and couldn't retrieve it. I landed and released both of them, both around 22".

If had a couple times of fish eat fish.. But a few of them are, is i was fishing for bluegills and sunfish for a night of flathead fishing, with the tyipcal red and white bobber when a 28inh striper tried to engulf the bobber... I had this one happen to me just yesturday evening, I was pulling 4 planners and 2 freelines through some shallow water, just before dark on Smith Mt lake. I had just rebaited with fresh gizzardsand pulled in my downlines that i also had out due to the bottom starting to fluctuare depths as i moved off a flat on across a few points.. About 30yards behind the boat, were i just pulled my baits through the stripers started to bust, they were just out of reach to cast a plug at aswell.. Im assuming the crippled bait that I pulled off the hooks and tossed in the lake turned them on..
This one didnt happen to me.. I fish the upper james rivers alot for smallmouth, as i was talking to a man also fishing.. He made the comment that hes hooked into a couple smallies that a musky has tore in half before he could get to the boat....

Travis
CatsNstripers

SHOOTING DOCKS AT HYCO LAKE THIS PAST FEB. WINDING IN A 10" CRAPPIE. LARGE BASS ENGULFED HIM. LET HIM RUN A BIT. SET THE HOOK, HE JUMPED AND THROWED CRAPPIE. REELED CRAPPIE IN. PUT HIM ON BIG HOOK. THROWED HIM BACK TO SAME SPOT. BASS WEIGHED 9 POUNDS.

Thats COOL. Ive spoken to alot of PROs that preach FISH TO THE BOAT. I missed the BIGGEST bass that I have personally seen about 4in from a spinnerbait that I was reeling in. It got about 6ft from the boat and I looked away and talked to my partner. as I looked down when I pulled the bait from the water the bass was after my bait right next to the boat. That a HARD thing to have to think about the rest of the day.

There should be more stripers like this one.

my dad had a 7 lb walleye on a stringer fishing
from a bank and a musky over 30 lbs threw it up on
the bank,another time he had a 19 inch brown trout
on and a huge lake trout grapped it he brought it in
with a big bite mark in it
Ron

Last fall I was throwing A rip bait from shore at my favorite pond, when a 10in bass hit the bait. As I was bringing the fish in, about 30ft from shore I saw big flash in front of me and my rod doubled over. I thoughy it was a big Pike grabing the small bass but when I saw the fish, it was actually 2 4lb+ bass that had gone after the Rip bait and the small bass!! I had all 3 fish on for about 10 seconds "one of the best 10 seconds of my fishing life". I landed the small bass and 1 of the 4lbers. The small fish had marks from just behind his gills all the way down his body. So i was about 2in. away from catching 3 bass on 1 bait. True Story..

Enjoying the unusual stories. Was catching spanish macks off the beach and the guy next to me had a spanish on and was reeling him in....from above an osprey swooped down and grabbed his fish and headed skyward. This very surprised angler was now loosing line and his fish to this large bird of prey. Eventually the osprey lost his grip and the fish fell from the sky. All was recovered along with some serious talon marks in the flesh of the spanish.

I had a buddy of mine have a gull in the winter time, grab one of his floats and try to make way with it... but rule of thumb.. never leave your bait out while fishing the salt... It wont be there when you need to rebait....

That osprey story sounded exactly like one I just read in my North American Fisherman magazine. Hmmmmmm. But to add to the fish eating fish stories, I've had several big pike in Canada swoop on a variety of smaller walleyes, yellow perch and other pike. Biggest was I swear over 4 ft long and hit a 26" pike. Got him close to the boat 3 times, but every time he saw the boat, he dropped it.

Had a cuda tear a 25 lb dolphin in half once while fising offshore

My wife rode in my catboat once...she figgered out where "that smell" was coming from and its been quiet in there ever since...jfo