Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BROOKNEAL STRIPERS

ANYBODY CATCHING ANY STRIPERS IN THE BROOKNEAL AREA OR THE RT. 360 BRIDGE YET ON THE STAUNTON RIVER?

Re: BROOKNEAL STRIPERS

I put in at Brookneal and caught one 6 lb and one 12 lb between 8pm and 9pm tonight. Got there late and didnt have much time to fish. I saw a couple more fish caught too. Wish I could have been there earlier, may have got a few more. I would be there in the morning if I could.

thanks monsterbuck, going to try to get over to brookneal first part of the week and try to catch one. weather suppose to warm up finally. john.g

Lots of stripers caught today, above and below Brookneal. I heard of at least 3 boats with catches above 20 fish. I saw other boats with fish too. Water is shallow though, be careful.

hey monsterbuck, thanks for the info,hope those bad boys stay there until the first of the week. had vacation last week but the fish didnt know it!

HEY MONSTERBUCK, HAVE YOU BEEN BACK TO BROOKNEAL ANYMORE. ANY WATER RUNNING YET?

Fished all day Thursday caught 1 fish 9.5lb. Fished 1 hour Friday night caught 1 fish 24". Fished 4 hours this morning caught nothing. Word I'm hearing is the fish are below Clarkton Bridge holding. Probably waiting on some water.

The school that was in Brookneal Wednesday moved on up. Water is a little over 7.8 in Brookneal by the waterdata.usgs.gov site, but it looks lower than that since its so clear.

Anyone going to try Brookneal Monday morning?
Did anyone catch anything down there this weekend?

Lots of fish caught below Clarkton bridge Saturday and Sunday. Many boats were claiming 10 - 20 fish. Most small, but a couple in the 15 - 17lb range were reported caught.

Monday should be a good day the water level will be up some, which should put the fish on the move and the bite on for anyone in their path.

I going in the morning by myself, will only be able to fish from about 7:00am to 9:00am. I need a net man anyone want to go?? I've got the boat all you need is a reel.

Hope that you had good luck at brookneal.Is there enough water in the river to get around ok.

Tim M I will be there fishing by myself on wed. morning, if your interested I can handle a net!

Went this morning, water is up some. Didn't have much trouble getting around. Caught 3 in about 2 hours and then had to leave. 5,5 3/4 & 7 1/2, not real big but still a lot of fuun to catch. Didn't have to go much below falling river. When I was headed back up river they were shocking about 1 mile below the landing and I saw 1 fish come up there. Goin back in the morning,

Criggster, not sure yet if I'm going Wed. I'll keep you posted and you will be welcome to come along if I do.

I had some friends that fished up the staunton from staunton view on monday. Stripers done real good until 10 am. and the cats started biting shad. They had 4-5 that were 20lb.plus. Going to brookneal today,will post results tonight.

Went this morning, didn't do to well. Had a couple of bites the first one woke me up a little, just wasn't ready and missed him. The second one was real small when I set the hook I could see him in the water was only about 12" tops, lost him also. Looked like things were picking up around 9:00 which is about the time I have to leave. Did see one guy pull in 3 in about 15 minutes. No monsters but decent fish. Don't think I'm going in the morning, need to get a little sleep. Maybe the day after????

I was just wondering where are you guys putting in. I usually fish in Milton but I have put in at stanton view. I havent been doing great in Milton but havent caught any under 8#. Just ready to try a new spot.

I'm putting in at Brookneal, and heading down river.
I still think things are going to get better around Brookneal.

Is Brookneal up one of the rivers? I live in Burlington, NC and really dont know my way around up there. Shad for bait???

Yes. up the Staunton. It's about 30 miles or so south of Lynchburg Va on rt. 501. If you are catching fish down there I wouldn't make the drive to Brookneal.
All I do is cast bucktails and flukes, no live bait.
I work 2nd shift and it takes me too long to get bait. Bucktails do pretty good and they are always in the boat.

THE BITE WAS SLOW TODAY AY BROOKNEAL.. SHOCKING BOAT CAME THROUGH AROUND 2 PM. THEY WERE SHOCKING UP SOME BIG ONES. THEY GOT WHAT THEY WANTED BY 2 PM AND CALLED IT A DAY. CAUGHT 5 8-10 LB. RANGE. SAW SEVERAL BIG ONES ROLL ON TOP OF THE WATER. CAUGHT SEVERAL SMALL BUCKS.

Monday night we caught 10 in 2 hours all 8-12. Tuesday night we caught 6 in 3 hours mostly small fish 4-8lb. Water is back down now.

fished wednesday above clarkton bridge. water was real low and bite was slow. caught 3 in the 8-10 lb range and lost two about the same. fish were in the middle of the river splashing. another buddy caught 4 in the 8-10 lb range. did not start to bite until around 4 pm. we left around 7 pm. didnt get a bite after 6 pm.

I Fished this morning (Wed 11th) above and below Brookneal landing, only picked up 1 fish
(small ~3 lbs.) Not many boats had fish, or reported catching many this evening when taking out at Brookneal landing.

we didnt get on the river until about 1pm and talked to some other people who only had one fish and said they caught it early in the am. there was some that seemed like big fish in the middle of the river splashing. the water was so clear that the ones we caught you could see them swirling at the bucktail up against the bank. acted like they didnt want it, just wanted it gone.

DID NOT GO YESTERDAY. WHAT DO YOU THINK, IS THE STRIPER RUN OVER AT BROOKNEAL. SOMEONE TOLD ME THE BIG FEMALES ARE STILL HOLDING DOWN RIVER. THE SHOCKING BOAT WENT AS FAR AS WATKINS BRIDGE LOOKING FOR THEM.

HEY MONSTERBUCK, HAVE YOU BEEN BACK TO BROOKNEAL? ARE THE FISH STILL THERE OR ARE THEY GONE.