new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cats

what the cats biteing on kerr.

Re: cats

The best "all around" bait for Kerr catfish will be cut Gizzard Shad, specifically the "gut pocket" region in the middle of the fish. If you can't net your own shad from the lake, buy some JUMBO minnows from one of the local bait shops. The stinky concoctions in a jar, or chicken livers, will also work, but mostly for smaller catfish. For the chance at a HAWG, though, go for the fresh cut Gizzard Shad. Good Luck!

yep gizzards number 1, but they also love white perch,bream,crappie and alot of other fish like that, but as katnip said gizzards the best

good luck

where and how do catch the gizzard shad, are they close to the bank or what just wonderin thanks fellows

dont know about kerr but i can tell you where to get alot in gaston right off the shore

good luck

Amen to the SHAD, by far the best bait. Have caught a few on bluegill & large minnows, caught a fair sized blue on a jumbo crawdad (thats the one that got me into catfishin) but have caught alot more since my son son learned how to throw that cast net. Not sure about this time of year but June thru August we 've been able to locate them in the backs of coves. Can be rather frustrating at times but worth the effort!

Im not too familiar with the types of shad. What type of markings distinguish the types of shad. I have caught plenty of shad with the net but I dont know what im catching.

yeah what are some of the best colored shad to use.

Chartreuse.

color dont matter, but the bigger the better, i caught a cat last weekend and you could see that there was something in the stomach when i cut her open i found a spine of a fish that was about 10" long and parts of a pretty big crawfish. this cat only weighed about 9lb. you know everybody seems to think catfish are muddy tasting, notice the contents of the stomach of some of the fish you catch, i find mud in the stomach of almost every species of fish in the water except blue cats. i find mussels but no mud, no plant life, these fish are preditors and i dont think you could hardly find a bream too big for him to eat, Just a thought. FISH BIGGG for BIG FISH

yeah gizzard heads are great for big blues

thanks fellows

no problem. good luck let us know what happens.