Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Saturday trolling report - catfish galore

Dang what a difference a day makes! About 101 Friday and started off with only 81 and extremely overcast today - and the fish must have liked it.
We caught over 30 catfish - ranged from 2 pounds to just over 15 pounds (7.5 to 8 pound average) 6 stripers 3 or 4 largemouth bass and 1 - 12 inch white perch. All were caught at/near the mouth of Island Creek or the first cove above IC on the left side in from 15-56 feet of water fishing from 15 feet to 22 feet deep. The shallow ones were caught on 1/4 oz. roostertails or Char/green spoonplugs, the cats over 18' deep and all the stripers were caught on char/white speed shad pulled on leadcore with a 40 foot "vanish" leader..
Was glad to be able to meet Jim burch who I met on this board and enjoyed swappin' some strategy.
.. one of the highlights of the day was when I was reeling in a 2.5 pound largemouth and a striper that would have weighed 17-18 pounds decided to follow it in and try to eat it at the boat.It slapped it twice before trying to bite it sideways - quite a show.

Re: Saturday trolling report - catfish galore

Very Nice Report!

Hey I was out there myself this morning. The cooler weather was sure nice but the wind wasn't kind to my little polarcraft. I pretty much trolled in front of the big island and landed a keeper striper and a white perch. I had some more good hits but no hookups.

I caught the striper on a cabela's walleye runner in chartreuse and the perch on a yellow RT.
I am going to have to change out the treble hooks on the walleye runners. They bend out way to easy and I think that was why I was missing some of the strikes.

I did have a double hookeup when I got the one striper but the other got off before I could get the one in.
He did NOT want to come in.

Many thanks for the tips BTW.

Thanks for the report. And thanks for the tips on a few spots to try. I was in the back of the Triton that talked to you.

J Sandy- TROLL ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!