This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Snakes

Moccasins are in our area believe me. I don't see many of them at all. I have seen one this year. It was sunning on a stump. I would estimate it to have been around 3 feet long. The bands were almost undistinguishable. It was the size of my forearm in the middle. Guys a moccasin will normally swim on top of the water and goes very slow with a wide bend.
The water snake is a speed merchant and mostly under water. Their path is almost straight it seems. I am not one to exaggerate. These I have seen are the real deal. Be careful with any wild creature.

Bo

ps A friend of mine was bitten by a copperhead a few
years ago. He had to have skin grafts the whole
nine yards.

Re: Snakes

It is a Northern Banded Water Snake I am nearly 99% sure. I use to live on the lakke there and that is the most common. When they get bigger some people think they are a copper head( brown with darker brown patches on its back but it does not have the hourglass like a copperhead) but put the two side by side you can see the difference. Just a water snake. Cotton mouths I have yet to see one in this area down east different story. Most of those two species are huge when 2 ft long their body is really thick like your forearm. Don't worry snakes are as scared of you as you are of them.

Re: Snakes

Scared of me, maybe, but I've never read about a snake dying from a human bite or even getting real sick .... Ha, ha!