Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bucktail with spoon

I see the post about the spoons and r/t's. I am assuming this is a heavier spoon used to pull the r/t down. Has any one tried and had any sucess with using a heavier bucktail like a 2oz on a 3 way swivel with a clark type spoon? My son wants to try some trolling he just got some stretch 25's and he wants to drag them. Was going to pull these on 2 rods and thought about the bucktail spoon combo on two. Or should I look at other options? I just want him to catch some fish. He does not care what they are. Thanks for any info or tips.

Re: Bucktail with spoon

In the bay we use 18 to 30 oz jigs to 3 way rig. I would try a 6 to 8 oz to get the lure down to the depth you want with whatever dropper you want on the back 3way. ou can try any sizes you want to get to the desired depth.
Good luck

spooplugs are actually divin plugs, not dependant on weight, but design, to get them down. an, yes, many use the sutton and similar type spoons on 3-way with a bucktail jig. use it myself on leadcore so jig weight would not need to be so heavy to reach desired depth. hope this helps ya catch more fish!

Fishdoc, how deep does the spoonplugs go down, say on 20lb mono.

there are 7 different sizes of spoonplugs. the #500 runs 2-4ft deep on 12 no-bo line, bout the same dia. as 20 mono. the 400 runs 4-6ft, the 250 runs 6-9ft, the 200 runs 9 -12ft, the 100 runs 12-15ft, the 700 15-20ft, the 800 20-25ft. ya can double that depth with a weighted line (wire or leadcore). so ya can fish down to 50ft. have caught fish deeper than that in fresh water, but had to go to live bait to be successful at such depths. hope this clears things up!...FD