Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lake Newbie Needs Tips...near Satterwhite Point and Nutbush Bridge

Can anyone ive me some tips for fishing in these areas ? I am planning on doing some camping at these spots. Do I stand a chance of catching anything much from the bank ? I also have a small Jon Boat that I can use.

Re: Lake Newbie Needs Tips...near Satterwhite Point and Nutbush Bridge

from dusk till dawn, after the boat traffic dies down and the water cools off a little.

Duh. Honestly that was not to helpful, but thanks for the effort.

You probally have a decent chance of catching fish from the banks, Just treat the area your in like a small pond, forget about how big the lake is and fish the area your in like you would a pond, early I'd paralell the banks with a buzz bait or zara spook, Then I'd try a crakbait doing the same thing. Or if ya like bait fishing get some shad or large minnows put one on a float 3-4 ft. deep and try one on the bottom river rigged. Night crawlers on a tight line will catch almost anything that swims. Fishing at night?? fish with some of them bluegill you caught earlier on the night crawlers. A jon boat would be fine in the backs of pockets and creek arms but I personally would want to get out on the main lake with one.
Ray M

Chris,

There is a pretty good distance between Satterwhite point and Nutbush bridge so depending on where you are staying, here are a couple of good areas: The east bank going north from the bridge is pretty deep, holds fish year round up until the very obvious big rock point. The south side bank of Anderson creek (the one to the left right after Nutbush creek). Also, all the points around Satterwhite are good if you are fishing deep enough-set the boat in 20+ feet (if you have a graph-if not go out far enough so that your throw lands at the edge of where you can see the color change of the point under water. Throw a Carolina rigged senko or trickworm (watermelon) or a texas rigged brushhog. Feel boat will be better than the bank-from the bank try cat fishing. Best of luck

Thanks Alot for both of the helpful replies. I just brought my kids up to the lake last week. It was the first time that I have checked out any of the Kerr State Recreation areas. I can't believe tht such a great place has been right under my nose all these years and I never took advantage of it. I'm less than an hour away for goodness sake ! All I need now is a good pop up camper. I think I could become a regular weekender there, especially if I can get onto some fish from the bank. I don't care what kind but I would love to be able to catch some cats with consistency. Is it legal to bait fish with something like chicken feed to attract some eating size or bigger cats ? I'm certainly not above carp either. I've always heard that they can be baited with cooked corn. Is that legal ? The other idea I had was to use the Jon boat to take a big cat bait out beyond casting range to deeper water and coming back to the bank. I bet it would be a hoot to tie into a 20-30 lb. cat from the bank. Your further feedback is appreciated. Thanks again and I will be checking the maps to see which camping spots are near the locations you mentioned. If you get a chance, check the maps for me and see which sites look like good possibilities in Nutbush and JC Cooper. Thanks

the cats like shrimp. If you're real quiet and keep the lights down sometimes around midnight stripers will follow shad up into the shallows and you can catch them with redfins. LMB can also be caught this way, you'll hear them bust down on shad if they're around. If you use your boat, make sure it's up to legal standards because they do patrol night and day. My brother used to wade out up to his armpits and then cast as far as he could to reach bigger cats in deeper water. Stripers and cats will both pick up shad off the bottom if you can catch any with a throw net. The shad will flock to a light but cats and stripers keep their distance for the most part. Good luck, sorry for being vague, didn't know what you were after. Ray H