Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bowfishing

KEITH
SETTER

Thank you both for the response. For what it's worth I am as guilty as anyone ( more than most perhaps ) of not treating the planet we live on or the things that live on it with sufficient respect. I guess the realisation comes with age. This heading wasn't condemning anyone and over the last ten years I have seen a massive change in attitude in Carolina, Virginia and some other states particularly amongst guys who fish and hunt. I'm personally glad that Bowfishing simply to kill is on the decline and that so many fishermen understand the logic of catch and release policies.
Again, thanks for the measured reply.
Take care.

Well said Grumpy, Setter and Keith

10-4 on the WELL SAID!!!

I too am guilty of kiiling carp and gar just for sport. When I was a kid we used to spear them in the shallows when they spawned. Only years later have I grown to appreciate the fight of both these fish.

I haven't caught either on kerr yet. I caught many carp on the Maury using oatmeal and they were a blast! I look forwrd to meeting ya'll and locating some carp on Kerr. I have a pontoon and would love to spend a day learning if you want to go out.

Hi Raymond.
Carp certainly do fight and never know when to give up. I'm lucky in that I get paid to fish for just about every species there is, it's my job and takes me all over the world but I have to say that Carp are my favourites for many reasons especially the ones in Kerr as the bigger ones are amongst the best in the world. We have plenty of bigger Carp in Europe but they bear little resemblance to proper Carp ..... their behaviour is completely unatural as they eat mostly fishermans baits and have got fat, lazy and relatively easy to catch. no fun at all. It's good that you have more respect for the fish now without getting too silly about it. We all enjoy a fresh fish on the table, nothing wrong in that but as many of you guys say it's pointless killing just for the sake of it and as anyone would have to be pretty desperate to eat Carp when you have so many other species that taste much better I've always found Bowfishing hard to understand. It would be an honour to meet you and anyone else that wants to share information and I'd be pleased to give you as many tips as I can. At the very least you'd find our gear interesting !
Our techniques are far removed from what you are probably use to even with the likes of Catfish our methods would almost certainly put a smile on your face.
We leave the UK on Tuesday so a few hours before we face the dreaded airports and all the delays due to idiot terrorists I'll post the phone number of the house we have rented near Clarksville and everyone is welcome to call. As for the boat trip .... love to.
All the very best and look forward to meeting you.

Hi Grumpy!
You sound like anything but grumpy.I really enjoyed your post and agree with you on the bowfishing. Hope you have a good trip over and have good fishing. Hootie

Hi Hootie,

Thanks for the good wishes ...... can't wait to get back to Kerr, it's been over a year since we were last there and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms !
Take care and catch plenty.